Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2006, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

but you must at least acknowledge my point in the wording of the definition of a CDL Class A licence that is found on the Connecticut State websites

A = Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds providing the gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed in excess of 10,000 pounds.
- holders of class A licenses may, with the appropriate endorsements and restrictions, operate all vehicles within classes B and C.
(took that from the CT website)

those are the exact words, copy and pasted.

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds ....... meaning, any combination of any vehicles, ie. truck and trailer, with a gross combined weight rating (GVWR of the truck + GVWR of the trailer) that equals to or above 26,001 pounds.......

providing the gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed in excess of 10,000 pounds.

that the trailer is rated for over 10,000

my equipment to be moved

GMC 5500 GVWR 25,900 pounds
trailer GVWR 18,000 pounds

GVWR 43,900 pounds

get my point. thats why this argument is so confusing. by the definition on the CT website i shoul dneed a CDL Class A licence to tow that truck...but ill let you guys know what i find out from the DMV
Old 03-26-2006, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutRight
but you must at least acknowledge my point in the wording of the definition of a CDL Class A licence that is found on the Connecticut State websites

A = Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds providing the gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed in excess of 10,000 pounds.
- holders of class A licenses may, with the appropriate endorsements and restrictions, operate all vehicles within classes B and C.
(took that from the CT website)

those are the exact words, copy and pasted.

Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds ....... meaning, any combination of any vehicles, ie. truck and trailer, with a gross combined weight rating (GVWR of the truck + GVWR of the trailer) that equals to or above 26,001 pounds.......

providing the gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed in excess of 10,000 pounds.

that the trailer is rated for over 10,000

my equipment to be moved

GMC 5500 GVWR 25,900 pounds
trailer GVWR 18,000 pounds

GVWR 43,900 pounds

get my point. thats why this argument is so confusing. by the definition on the CT website i shoul dneed a CDL Class A licence to tow that truck...but ill let you guys know what i find out from the DMV
I am facing the same dilema, Cutright...so what DID you find out at the DMV? I am in Va and our CDL laws mirror yours...to the word so I am quite curios how things went. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

there is another thread where i wrote everything i found out from the DMV what the rules are. search for the thread Cutright vs the CT DMV something like that

but the basic thing is.

if the truck GVWR is 26,001 or more - CDL Class B
if towing 10,000lbs or more (no matter the truck) - you need a CDL Class A

when towing the weights on your axles cannot exceed the axle ratings or tire ratings (whichever is lower) for each individual axle.
and also the weight of everything cannot exceed the GCWR of the rig your running (truck GVWR 30,000#s + trailer GVWR 20,000# = 50,000#GCWR), so the truck, trailer, and payload added together cannot exceed that 50,000# mark, but then.....
if your axle ratings say only add up to 45,000#s then you cannot exceed 45,000#s.

its a very complicated thing to try and to explain. the best thing is to get it straigth from the horses mouth. if you can, go to your dmv and ask to speak with a Department of Transportation Inspections Officer, because these will be the guys that will be pulling you over. you may have to call and make an appointment, but it should be possible to talk to them.
the inspection officer told me there is no actual document anywhere that tells you this stuff, so its basically up to the interpretation of whoever pulls you over.

also, at least in CT, you need US DOT numbers if your truck gvwr is 18,000#s or more.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

CT cdl

I know the CDL question has been beat to death, but recently my friend got the commercial drivers manual and i read part of it that makes it sound like it doesnt matter as long as you are under 26000. The combined weights say "if" not "or over 10000".

A commercial motor vehicle is defined as a motor
vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or
property if the vehicle:
• Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of
26,001 or more pounds; or
• A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds
if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is
26,001 pounds or more; or
• Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers,
including the driver; or is designed to transport
more than 10 passengers, including the driver, and
used to transport students under the age of 21
years to and from school;

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/comdr.pdf
16" landscape trailer
05 ferris 61" is3000
07 ferris 61" hydro walk
09 scag 61" diesel turf tiger
old Bunton 48" gear drive walk
little wonder blowers
redmax backpacks
shindaiwa trimmers
stihl handhelds
lesco spreaders
Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You are wise to be completely compliant, CT. DOT is brutal, by far the toughest in the northeast! They will tow you for bad breath! I myself have been towed off the highway by the MA. DOT, it doe's not make for a profitable day!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutRight View Post
this is the exact problem I'm am running into everywhere I go, is that everybody has a different answer. I've talked to folks like you who have their CDL licenses, owners of trailer dealerships, owners of truck dealerships, other landscapers, guys in excavation. The funny thing is the other landscapers, truckers, and excavation guys at least have an answer for the question. But surprisingly the druck dealership owners and the trailer dealership owners that I have talked to cannot give a straight answer. I'm going to go straight to the source and go down to the DMV as soon as a get a chance. Might as well see what the horses ass, sorry i mean horses mouth has to say.
Here's my deal . I was in the same boat .
I have a f450 16000lbs gvw with a 12000lb trailer 28000 lbs GCWR I need a CDL so i just went to get one .
I went on line and bought a CDL test model .
The model is a test that you can just take day and night on line until you pass with a 80% or better grade 3 time in a row . Then go take your written test , you should pass. You can take (any) truck and trailer for your road test as long as its over 26000 lbs GCWR. Last year i studied christmas eve and part of Christmas's day and passed the written test . It took me 3 days to get a road test and i passed . Now i can drive any truck up to 26000lbs with a trailer appropriate for the truck. My truck doesn't have air breaks so i don't have the endorsement . I had my licence in a week and a half . A friend of mine was going to let me drive his truck and trailer but as i was doing the safety check parts where falling off.
If you can dig up a truck with a GVW of 33000lbs with air breaks you can get a full cdl licence . John
Old 01-21-2010, 03:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The written tests aren't that hard ( atleast to me ), it's the driving part you need to practice for.

Air brake written test part is short. If you don't take it, in Florida, you get a restriction on your license saying no air brakes. If taken, nothing shows on the license. Take it and save yourself the headache later.

Having had a Chauffeurs License before the Fed CDL came in, didn't have to take the driving part as long as you had driven a vehicle in the class of the CDL you were going to keep.

The Hazmat endorsement is the one that became the biggest pain in the butt.
It is the only one that requires a retest every 6 years with a written 30 question test.
Plus the background check that has to be done every four years now.

Test scores when it first came out were:
CDL = 92%, Air Brake =96%, Hazmat=100%
6 years later the Hazmat was a 92% without opening the book or expecting the test. Missed the fine print as so did the inspector at first. Not many people take it locally so she also remembered me from the first time score. Dropped the Hazmat after 12 years.

Chauffeur or Class B license for over 30 years now. No longer need it but it sure makes it easier when you go to rent a truck for personal use.

Most states will transfer your license if you move with only needing to take the 50 question basic test. And paying the money.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.L. Hale Landscaping LLC View Post
I know the CDL question has been beat to death, but recently my friend got the commercial drivers manual and i read part of it that makes it sound like it doesnt matter as long as you are under 26000. The combined weights say "if" not "or over 10000".

A commercial motor vehicle is defined as a motor
vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or
property if the vehicle:
• Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of
26,001 or more pounds; or
• A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds
if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is
26,001 pounds or more; or
• Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers,
including the driver; or is designed to transport
more than 10 passengers, including the driver, and
used to transport students under the age of 21
years to and from school;

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/20/29/comdr.pdf
By Fed law, that is the case. But your state can apply the rules a little stricter if they want. The good thing is, the other states can't apply their CDL laws to anyone except their own people if you have another state's CDL license. But some do try. That was one of the reasons for the Fed rules in the first place. To make it one license covers all states. And you'll find that if you look at the various state CDL manuals online, they all are pretty much word for word the same as they come from the Feds.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i just downloaded the CDL handbook b/c my brother and I will be getting our class A with air brake endorsements because of our new trailer purchase.

our truck F350 with 11,500 gvwr
our trailer= 19,000 gvwr
Total Combined Gross Vehicle weight rating= 30,500
The CGWVR is over 26,000lbs so we need a CDL

if the trailer was 10,000 gvwr or under then we would not need a cdl

If our truck was say 19,500 gvwr
and our trailer was 8,000 gvwr
CGvwR= 27,500
even though its over the 26K cgvwr, since the trailer is under the 10K limit you wont need a cdl
Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
i just downloaded the CDL handbook b/c my brother and I will be getting our class A with air brake endorsements because of our new trailer purchase.

our truck F350 with 11,500 gvwr
our trailer= 19,000 gvwr
Total Combined Gross Vehicle weight rating= 30,500
The CGWVR is over 26,000lbs so we need a CDL

if the trailer was 10,000 gvwr or under then we would not need a cdl

If our truck was say 19,500 gvwr
and our trailer was 8,000 gvwr
CGvwR= 27,500
even though its over the 26K cgvwr, since the trailer is under the 10K limit you wont need a cdl
Nope. It just means you can get away with a Class B CDL if the trailer is 10K or less. 10K+1 puts you in Class A territory. 26K+1 is CDL either way.