Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Class 'B' here isn't a truck, it's a school bus license. GVWR doesn't surpass a class 7 weight rating, as 99% of all buses are single rear axle. With a class B, you can also drive a class F, or mini-bus, or coach bus which is also class C. Most coach companies want their drivers to have a B, as the B adds additional road training, such as railway crossings, etc. Almost all coach buses however have air brakes due to the weight of the vehicle.

The licensing varies here from province to province, just as it does down there - state to state. There are a lot of federal regulations and endorsements so each province is on the same page with one another to narrow down complications for operators, and business owners alike.
I see now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Not sure if I am following you. Most class B size trucks here have air brakes.
If you've ever seen a Dodge D800, you can find those with hydraulic brakes and a need for a Class A license when towing a 10K+1 trailer. Just don't expect that truck to get better than 6 MPG on the highway. Empty. Or more than 100 miles on the tiny 16/18 gallon tank.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
If you've ever seen a Dodge D800, you can find those with hydraulic brakes and a need for a Class A license when towing a 10K+1 trailer. Just don't expect that truck to get better than 6 MPG on the highway. Empty. Or more than 100 miles on the tiny 16/18 gallon tank.
I pass those all the time...in museums.

Same rule applies here for trailering, you can tow with a B,C, or D license up to 10K, but any heavier requires the driver to have a A license for 'transport truck'.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I concur, class B doesn't require an air brake endorsements, mostly so it's less work to train drivers on air brakes and it lowers initial vehicle cost by going the hydraulic route. In Canada, all class 8 (A) vehicles are produced with air brakes due to weight restrictions.

Everything, high prices, pessimistic people abound the sidewalks talking to themselves in total chaos about absolutely nothing important. Besides, I heard they got a Big Apple there! ...somewhere.
it doesnt require an airbrake endoresment besause there is no such thing.i am so tired of hearing about this "air brake endorsment" i just wish someone would show me in writing were this thing is.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
it doesnt require an airbrake endoresment besause there is no such thing.i am so tired of hearing about this "air brake endorsment" i just wish someone would show me in writing were this thing is.
No Air Brakes is a restriction. If the restriction isn't on your license, then you've got the right to drive a vehicle in your Class of license with air brakes.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
There is a blast from the past.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Canada
Yup. Anyone can drive any vehicle with hydraulic brakes, no endorsement is required to say you CANNOT drive a vehicle without air brakes, but you require an endorsement to drive a vehicle WITH air brakes here - north of the border.
It's more money for the government is all it is. Gramma could write the air brake 'test' and do a practical test in less than an hour, and $75 later she can upgrade the brakes on her mini-van.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to Name:  kkkkkkkkkkk.gif
Views: 131
Size:  25.4 KB but I got an interesting email from Floriduh if anyone is interested.Name:  Whislte.gif
Views: 129
Size:  1.4 KB

Quote:
Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Not to Attachment 175701 but I got an interesting email from Floriduh if anyone is interested.Attachment 175705
What? Nobody wants to see it?

Here it is anyway.

Quote:
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:17 PM
To: Register, Dianne
Subject: CDL requirement questions

Good Afternoon.

I was hoping you could clarify something for me.

If I have a commercial use F550(GVWR 19,500#) pulling a trailer (GVWR 8,000#) for a total of 27,500#, no passengers or hazmat, would I need a CDL? If so which class?

Thank you.

RE: CDL requirement questions
From: "Register, Dianne" <DianneRegister@flhsmv.gov>View Contact
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

With the information you are providing me a Class E license will work. But if the trailer you are pulling GVWR is 10,000# or more then you would need a Class A license.

Thank You

Dianne

The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is committed to Service, Integrity, Courtesy, Professionalism, Innovation and Excellence in all we do. Please let us know how we are doing via our online customer service survey at www.flhsmv.gov.

Quote:
Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am incredibly confused by all of this I have a Dodge ram 3500 with a gvrw of 11500# and a 16ft goose neck dump trailer with a gross of 14000 lbs my total is 25000# . Do I need a CDL do I not?? the state of CT site is absolutely useless with its information it is not clear and concise at all. Any help would be awesome.