Register free!

Old 02-22-2006, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

check your mail Dan
Old 02-22-2006, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two of them comming next month. Track drive hydros, 9.5 HP Kubota diesel, will climb a 2-1 slppe with a load. We also have 4 Ingersol tire driven power buggies. STS rated.
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 02-22-2006, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Dan, do a search for a Kubota KC 51
Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Zedo - I only offer my experience! I have excavated with both machines and still, to this day, believe the SS is the way to go on basic patio dig outs. I can hold waaayy more material in my bucket, hence, I can get done alot faster and I believe I have way more control on the depth. I guess if you are not good on a SS then the excavator may be the way to go. By the way, please do not misunderstand me I LOVE excavators and I believe they serve a great purpose, just not excavating for "basic" flatwork. Walls - YES, Multilevel patios - YES, Overdigs - YES, Setting boulders and coin steps - YES
But, if you can't realize that a SS is more versatile for a hardscape crew than something is amiss or you are working way too hard. Again, JMO!

Chris
Old 02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Skid steers are fantastic pieces of equipment with specific duties like quick removal of materials, loading and unloading brick pallets from the truck. I would never be without one. But I have to dissagree with your comment about working too hard. In our area where we work, the ground is 90% clay. The skidsteers because of their weight are just creating ruts and you almost always end up over digging. With the mini ex's you remove only what you need and without the enevitable mess the ss leave behind. Also the mini ex has a retractable track width from 52" down to 39". No more post removals to access the back yard.

All that aside, yes the skidsteers can remove at a quicker rate, but you still have to make that journey from the back yard to the front. Time, time, time....
Old 02-22-2006, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What about a compact Tractor Loader Backhoe or a compact backhoe? Both do less damage than a skid steer and have a hoe to excavate with. As far as minimal damage is concerned, a track compact loader or mini excavator are tough to beat. If you can only afford one machine to start and can only transport less than 10,000 lbs, is it an alternative?

Kirk
Old 02-22-2006, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

TLB's are great for areas with wide open access. Just a little clumsy to manoever. Kubota makes a great one with their B21. Like I said earlier, where we do most of our work the access is of the greatest importance, hence the mini-ex.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

IMO- may not mean much but I have been in the industry for 19 yrs. I think it all comes down to experience and what you are use to. We did all of our excavations with a SS for years. Eventually bought a Case 580 and started doing excavating with that when we had the room. Not the most efficient on a site. Mainly we use a SS or Mini-ex. If you have good operator, a mini-ex can be just as effiecient as a SS with less overdig and damage. SS with a 66" or 72" bucket creates a large overdig when you are doing a 36" or 48" walkway. SS is definietly more versatile and I would say more of a must before a mini.
Dingo's or the MT50/52 from Bobcat are great for small areas and small jobs. I love them for that purpose but when you are doing a large job just doesn't cut it for digging and hauling materials. At the price tag of $16-18k look at a full size SS. You should be able to find used machines at a reasonable price. To me a small machine like this is easier to rent when you need it unless you can justify it being out everyday on a job.

As for machine with different types of controls: Cat has tank controls, Bobcat you can get with foot or an option for hand controls, Case the same, New Holland has foot controls that are adjustable. But what you are use to or like. Demo them all on a job. Cat is expensive and I dont think any better than the rest. We ran Bobcats before, Case for a couple of years and now I getting a new New Holland. The big thing is to try before you buy. Ask your dealer to demo.

Renting is good but when you start paying out as much in rent in a year as you would for a machine, it is time to consider purchasing. Once you have the machine or piece of equipment you will find you will use it more.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISCAPER
We have two of them comming next month. Track drive hydros, 9.5 HP Kubota diesel, will climb a 2-1 slppe with a load. We also have 4 Ingersol tire driven power buggies. STS rated.
Bill,

What are the prices on the Kubotas (w/deisel & w/o)?

Dan
Old 02-23-2006, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are not Kubotas, just Kubota powered. 12,000 plus shipping and tax ea. They climb 2-1's with a 1500 lb load, they are only 28" wide, and 6' long. Hydrostatic drives and they will dump into a 4' high container or direct on the ground.
www.naturescapelandscape.com