Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilize this lawn now or wait till Fall?

I have this customer with some type of cool season grass (at least it stays mostly green in winter so I assume it is) and I've read that they can be fertilized (fescue that is) in February. Also in Sep and Nov. Well he wants to put out seed in the fall so was wondering if fertlizer application would be recommended now or then or both maybe. If my pics posted, you can see he may need some seed in spring too if it's worth it. I just did a soil test and have results stating a 15-0-14 or EQUIV per 1000 sq. ft type fertilizer is recommended. He's hoping the lawn will thicken up some this spring on it's own in his backyard where it's sparse and shaded moreso. I could use some work right now but didn't want to recommend a fertilizer application unless it will benefit the yard for the spring. Thanks for the help/advice in advance.

Adam
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This guy looks like he has some problems other than needing a fert application.In the 1st pick I see compaction and drainage problems in the second pic could very well be a grub or cinch bug problem.The other guys on here will help diagnose it also.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If he is not going to reseed until fall I would wait to fertilize then. make sure he plans to do it early sept. so the grass has plenty of time to germinate and get rooted in good before the temps drop in the fall. I also would do a higher nitrogen fertilizer application about a month after the seed germinates.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some very good replies here. Actually down here in NC, you can reseed all the way until mid October. That can flex a little depending on the rainfall amounts during that time period.

I'd go ahead and apply the fertilizer for now. Make the best with what you have. The fertilizer will be all gone by June anyway. With all those leaves, I'm curious what your pH levels were. Looks like a good lime application would benefit. Good Luck
Old 02-20-2006, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bump I would like to hear some other evaluations on this lawn please
Old 02-21-2006, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Lawnspecialties, here is an attached adobe of his soil test report. Hope it posts. If not, the pH listed on report is 6.9 and Lime listed as "0" or none needed I assume. Does this appear to be some type of fescue grass?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SL19054.pdf (54.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-21-2006, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look's to me like the back yard is screaming to be aerified! I would really try to sell him on the aerification in the back in March and again in Sept. If the ph is 6.9 you do NOT need lime, fescue grows best between 6.3 and 6.6 ph. This guy will have to understand that this will probably take a while for his lawn to come around. The front lawn looks like about any other lawn around here in the winter to me.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how you could recognize insect damage from those pictures. I definitely see some dormant bermuda mixed with some fescue in the second picture. Yeah, aerate this spring. If you are planning to do any spring seeding as well do it around 3rd week in March; but you'll probably have to do it again in the fall for best results. Go get some 18-0-18 and you'll be set. Are you licensed for pesticides?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He doesn't have to be licensed in NC to aerify and spread FERT.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

K&L is right on the money. With a 6.9, you'll probably be fine on pH for a couple of years. In the pictures, it appears the lawn sinks a little in that area. If that ground is indeed compacted, continuously standing water is not good. Aerate it for now. Come fall, you might even just till it up. Watch out for that tree's roots.