Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-14-2000, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a friend of mine is jus t starting out. He 16 and asked me what he should buy mower wise. I told him a 48&quot; ex-mark or ransoms (belt drive not hydro because his cash is limied) What would you all recomend?Oh yeah, i told him to go with echo trimmer and bp blower.<p>Nick
Old 04-15-2000, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For a single mower operation I would recommend a 36&quot; because you can get it into more places than a 48&quot; and it has less tendacies to scalp. This is important for someone just starting out. Just put a Velke on the back and go! The Echo trimmer is ok but I would go with a Stihl BR400 blower.
Old 04-15-2000, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

NOT BEING ONE TO LIKE CHEAP QUALITY EQUIPMENT I FIND MYSELF A BIT LOST SAYING THIS BUT, TWI YEARS AGO THEY PASSED A NOISE ORDINANCE BANNING BLOWERS FROM APR. 15 TO SEPT. 30 IN A TOWN THAT I SERVICE. I WAS LOOKING TO GET AROUND IT AND BOUGHT A RYOBI TRIMMERPLUS, YOU KNOW THE ONE WITH THE ATTACHMENTS, IT WAS A PACKAGE SMALL BLOWER THAT LOOKS LIKE A STRING TRIMMER HEAD(I GOT CAUGHT USING IT AND GOT A FINE). ALSO COMES WITH A STRING TRIMMER HEAD AND AN EDGER ATTACHMENT, 31 CC POWERHAED. OTHER ATTACHMENTS ARE AVAILIBLE. WHEN I BOUGHT I FIGURED AT LEAST I COULD USE IT AS A STICK EDGER/ BACK UP TRIMMER IF THE BLOWER DECEPTION DID NOT WORK. FOR A SMALL OPERATOR THIS IS A GOOD CHOICE, NOT EXPENSIVEAND CAN ACCEPT ATTACHMENTS AS EVERYONE KNOWS AN EDGER IS AT LEAST 350.00 FOR A CHEAP ONE, A STRING TRIMMER IS AT LEAST 200.00 FOR A LOW GRADE ECHO AND A GAS HEDGE TRIMMER IS AT LEAST 250.00...SO AS I SAID FOR THE AMOUNT OF USE IT WILL GET FROM A NEW/STARING OPERATOR AND THE POSSIBLE USE OF ATTACHMENTS IT IS ACTUALLY MORE USEFUL THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD EVER BE. THESE CAN BE HAD AT HOME DEPOT OR SEARS...AS FOR RELIABLITY, I USE IT AS AN EDGER ALL THE TIME AND AS A THIRD/ BACKUP TRIMMER AS NEEDED AND EXCEPT FOR A CARB ADJUSTMENT ONCE IT HAS NEVER NEEDED ANY KIND OF WORK. JUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT OH YEAH DID I MENTION WHEN I BOUGHT IT IT WAS ONLY 259.00 FOR THE PACKAGE POWERHEAD,TRIMMER,BLOWER,EDGER.
Old 04-15-2000, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

stihl has also come out this year with a combo unit. Has every attachement you can ever want, buy what you need when you need it and maintain only one power head. I would rather spend the money up front on commercial quality equipment than mess around with the other. It will be as versatile as the Ryobi, more expensive of course, but will last longer. I started with a Ryobi also, it served the purpose well, but when I bought my first Stihl I was a proud Papa! I had got off that porch and was playing with the &quot;BIG DOGS&quot;!<p>Homer
Old 04-15-2000, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what about mowers?<br>
Old 04-15-2000, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honda Buffalo 21&quot; push mower would be a good<br>start. For gods sake run a mile from Ryobi<br>gear.Great for homeowners,but thats it.<br>Cheap and nasty. If Stihl have a similar<br>product,then go for that instead.Stihl have<br>excellent quality and power.<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-15-2000, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

columbia,<br>You gave him good advise. Get at least a 48&quot; mower for your work. Every guy starting out wants a 36&quot; because it &quot;can get in everywhere&quot;. Get the big mower and push mow tight areas as needed. You'll be production ahead.
Old 04-15-2000, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, if you have any thoughts of doing this on a full time basis buy the good stuff now. It will pay for it self eventually and you won't be doing all the tiny stuff cause you can't do any of the bigger. Don't limit yourself to pushing only, you'll get burned out quick.<p>Homer
Old 04-15-2000, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with some of the other post go with the 48&quot; walk unit and a trim mower to start.<br>that way if you pick up big yards you can do them easly.Later add a 36&quot; for those 3'gates.<br>Ransomes are good but i like exmark better.The new greasless spindals would be my mager concern for wearing out i have a 94 that is still going good with the old greasable type.I would lokk at the hydro drives also.
Old 04-15-2000, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run all exmark. i was just thinking that since his money is limited a ransoms may be a little cheaper.<p>Nick