Register free!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

question about ground sinking

I picked up a customer for lawn mowing the other day. He has an area that is sinking slightly(not too bad. The area is maybe 10' by 10'. What would be the best method for fixing this area. Dig up old turf, grade and lay sod. Or just wait till fall, kill area, add some topsoil and seed?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyeah
I picked up a customer for lawn mowing the other day. He has an area that is sinking slightly(not too bad. The area is maybe 10' by 10'. What would be the best method for fixing this area. Dig up old turf, grade and lay sod. Or just wait till fall, kill area, add some topsoil and seed?
I would add topsoil and seed asap.Use sod if it can be wtered frequently.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ASk them if there was a tree there, at one time, first.It could be settling from roots decomposing.It could also be an area where the home builder buried debris or it could be a sink hole forming.
Check with owner about the tree first.Then dig the area(with approval) and see if you can find any leftover material from the homebuilder.If you do find bulding materials,dig them out and re-fill with soil.
I've had to fill an area in my back lawn from what I found out had been an outhouse for a school quite some years ago.So,my lawn in that area is truly shitty
Old 02-21-2006, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN
ASk them if there was a tree there, at one time, first.It could be settling from roots decomposing.It could also be an area where the home builder buried debris or it could be a sink hole forming.
Check with owner about the tree first.Then dig the area(with approval) and see if you can find any leftover material from the homebuilder.If you do find bulding materials,dig them out and re-fill with soil.
I've had to fill an area in my back lawn from what I found out had been an outhouse for a school quite some years ago.So,my lawn in that area is truly shitty
Good advice. Does he have an irrigation system? Slow leaking system could also cause this.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wait another 20 years for the rest of the building materials to rot and then fix it.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Find out why the area is sinking first, then rectify that situation and then soil, compost and seed. You may have construction debris rotting, or a host of other problems as mentioned. Use a soil probe and poke around, just make sure you are not poking utilities. Excavate if necessary and solve the problem before you cover it up.

Kirk
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

no irrigation. Fairly new house so I was leaning towards the construction materials myself. thanks guys.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyeah
no irrigation. Fairly new house so I was leaning towards the construction materials myself. thanks guys.
That sounds like it could be it. My neighbor and I both had the same problem.