Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2006, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Backyard help!!

We bought this house 2 years ago and the entire backyard was covered with mulch, shrubs and trees. We are now putting in a pool and cleared the backyard last year. We seeded with a rye grass to contain the dirt and mulch. Now we have ryegrass and weeds. What is the best way to get a lawn started after the pool guys are done? I live in Houston, Tx. The area to cover is 4500 sq feet after the pool is in. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Seed?
Sod?
Help Please!

Thanks, Deanna
Old 02-22-2006, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm in Florida, zone 10, and most use St. Augustine sod. I don't know if that will work in Houston but it will produce a fast lawn if you water it. It may be pricey though for that sq. footage.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd just install sod.You're only looking at 10 pallets,so you can have it done in one day and enjoy an instant lawn.I'm not sure if St Augustine will work in Houston,but bermuda,centipede,or zoysia should be fine.St.Augustine won't survive a cold winter,so keep that in mind depending on how your average weather conditions are.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Do I need to till up the yard first? How about a weed killer first then fertilizer?
Sorry for the questions, but we are going to do this ourselves to save some money. I have a bunch of friends ready to lend a hand.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just spray a non selective herbicide(round up) on the area.Wait a week and then install.
I don't know the grade or other conditions,but you can till the area to loosen the soil,then grade it smooth,lay sod,and then roll the sod into the soil with a lawn roller.No need for fertilizer more than likely.The sod should be well fertilized at the sod farm.Just keep it moist for a couple of weeks.
You'll need to fertilize about a month later depending on the sod you choose.Centipede actually does worse when fertilized,while bermuda needs a good bit of nitrogen each month of the growing season.