Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Getting Grass To Grow In Shady Area!

I was wondering if anybody could give me some good input on how to get a good shady lawn. Customer has alot of oak trees. Also there is alot of moss present. Was blowing leaves today and moss and grass was coming up like carpet. I going to get a soil sample done, but was just wondering if any of you guys may have some in put. This customer spends alot of money on his lawn and I want to give him what he deserves. Thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Increase the available sunlite, reduce the moisture, and improve the soil fertility
Old 02-22-2006, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mudstopper

ditto!! he hit the nail on the head!!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say there is a drainage/compaction problem where the moss is growing.It's difficult to grow grass under Oak tree's.But there are shade cultivars out there.I suggest you do a search on lawn grasses that are shade tolerant.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

maybe a little
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

A couple of years ago we mulched up alot of the leaves I thought that maybe it just made the soul so acidic. Customers lawn use to look alot better before that. There has been some trees removed so is getting more light then before. We usuall slice and seed every year putting 100 to 150 lbs of shaddy mix grass seed with alot of creeping fesue. Don't know if that changes any input.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

amvega

mulching leaves year after year an especially lots of leaves causes a lawn to break down an become very bare. that is why removing the leaves is a much better solution in the long haul.if you have anymore questions let me know thanks george
Old 02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Soil testing will tell for sure,but i'd say low in all three n p k if moss is growing. What kinda fert program is applied to the turf if any? A good fert program and over seeding with the shade mix your using sure return great results if you've let the sun shine in. let us know how the tests come back, that will help with your question. good luck
Old 02-23-2006, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think creeping red fescue is what you want. it will work well in this app. and a soil test is a good idea. just remember that what the recomend is to apply said amount of fert then till it in to the soil. so if you are not going to totally redue the yard cut the recomandations by 8 and do it over time in small applications
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 02-23-2006, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping
i think creeping red fescue is what you want. it will work well in this app. and a soil test is a good idea. just remember that what the recomend is to apply said amount of fert then till it in to the soil. so if you are not going to totally redue the yard cut the recommendations by 8 and do it over time in small applications
if this doesn't work you may want to consider mulch, English ivy or some type of shade loving plants or ground cover. there are some places that grass just will not grow!