Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2006, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

lighting of the bull

Maybe shifting the position of the stones more to the outside and using well lights buried behind them may work. I am not 100% sure but I think Vista sells an underground well type transformer you can have at ground level so it will not stand out so much. The use of colored light filters may help on the dark colored subject. Any other lights would be a lot better than those huge floodlights they had on it before.

Last edited by mowtime; 02-23-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=nlminc]I had the same thought. I bet lights under the bull would love nice. Don't forget to pull them damn weeds out of the bed! [/QUO

Build a pedestal and stick that thing 8 feet in the air
Old 02-23-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Build a pedestal and stick that thing 8 feet in the air
Today 07:51 PM
No joke,the 1st design for the buffalo included a huge Bronze mounting pad that looked like a boulder which would have put it a soild 8.5-9' off the ground. It was a little too imposing in such a tight space.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry guys,,, the weeds stay . We plan on adding wildflower seeds soon as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-23-2006, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If your not going to be using the high voltage lights out there didnt the electrician run it thru a conduit to the power panel area ?

Since your not going to be using the high voltage there maybe you can have them remove the high voltage wires and tie your lines onto them as they pull them out and wham your LV lines are in place. Just an idea there not sure what the deal is or if thats possible. A below grade trans would be a hot idea tho too as someone said.

If they dont wanna see lights then maybe some rock looking lights. I think the bronze of the bull would compliment the bronze of the cast bullets well tho.

Good luck and post pics when its done!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

first off, don't go out there and pull that 120 line votage yet. you can use that insteas of your lv wire. find 120 line volt wire...if it goes somewhere out of the way where you can put your transformer, call electrician install out on one end of wire hook you lv cable from transformer to other end of 120 vlt wire, your set. as others suggested... get four well lights, try 35wfl...shouldn't need more if so try a 50wfl although that only gives you more foot candles at 10'. important thing to do is install these on an angle, not quite 45 degrees. maybe 20 degrees. just not straight up and down. the well light should have an angled side and a flat side, use the angled side up and have it toward statue. sorry if this isn't clear. send me a plane ticket, be happy to come out, do this ski etc.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

one other thing..wee have had these challenges a number of times. we have found that fixtures above the ground create all kinds of glare from all kinds of angles. sometimes that's all you can do but we have used the well lights successfully as I described above. hope this is one of those opportunities here. customer has been staring at those 2 above ground fixtures, you put something in ground..I think they will like because it will be different/less glare
Old 02-24-2006, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

another thing, I would go with the par 36 incandescent, your have a dark surface, the incandescent is on the warm end of the color spectrum, will be less glare caused on the bull itself....but and this is the good thing, if you or customer don't like put in a halogen 50wfl.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

o.k let me know if I am getting out of control, I have been up since 4:30am watching "finding nemo" with my sick 3 year old. The lamp life on both is 4,000 hrs. If the lamps are on all night don't let the lamp life be a deterent, just understand that the right type of light is the most important thing. Just figure out (on average) how long they will burn..eg on all night is around 10-11 hours(on the high side) thats 400 days, set up a contract with the owner to change them out twice a year and check them 4 to 8 times a year for direction, lamp cleaning and plant trimming around fixture. Our customers forget the intial cost quickly and don't mind paying the service cost because they, in the end, just want it to look good and work. Exceptional service is something people are not used to getting. additionally, used a multi tap transformer so you can adjust for voltage drop at fixture "in the field" since you may not be able to acurrately calculate the length of your run.
good luck
Old 02-24-2006, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I give up, I just tried to post some important info twice now and it wouldn't let me. if you want to know what it was email me with your tel# niteliters@omuonline.net