Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2006, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Bermuda Grass removal/suppression

I know this is an old thread. But I read through the old ones and I wanted to know how much luck or control and with what products anybody has used for the removal or suppression of Bermuda grass. I am in the transition zone and have cool season lawns with bermuda grass in them because of the warm summers. What chemicals have you used? When were they applied? (During transition?, spring,summer or fall?, what rate?, How often apart was it applied? what kind of control? How many seasons without it reappearing?.) I know these are alot of questions but I feel that anyone with this problem can benefit from your expertise. I have tried Round-up in late summer 3 apps. two weeks apart and have had no luck. And yes I do have a license!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will find this topic has been pretty well covered if you search, but here is my experience. Bermuda must be actively growing to control, so you are looking at mid-late summer for best results. For selective control, Turflon mixed with Acclaim will put some serious hurt on bermuda but it takes mutiple applications per year over a couple of years to control and makes the cool season grass look like crap. For non-selective control, start a couple of weeks before a chemical app, fert Bermuda areas of the lawn and make sure they are getting plenty of water to keep them growing strong. Then spray a combination of Round-up mixed with Ornamec or Fusilade at a 2-1 ratio. Check back in about 3 weeks to see if there is any sign of life and then re-spray if needed. Over the last 10 years I have gotten my success ratio (meaning no Bermuda 3 years later) up to about 80%, don't assume success if it looks clean the next year, just one or two sprigs can start a new crop. FYI, there is a new product coming in the next 1-2 years that should be better than anything you can mix up today. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My suggestion, just start all over. Bermuda grass is the by far the worlds grass....aka weed is some areas. I am in Atlanta, where Bermuda is the lawn grass of choice. Pretty easy to maintain as long as you follow schedule, but I have seen how Bermuda grows at its best. Bermuda grass will cover you driveway within a 5 years period if you let it. I layed some sod in a yard last year, and had some left over and didnt have a place to keep it. So i layed it out all over my concrete back driveway, and as long as I watered, it kept growing. My neighbor was amazed, and so was my wife because they both told me it would live longer then a week, and it lived for about 6 weeks before I used it on some lawns that needed some spots replaced. Oh, and yes, it blended right in.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that a good shot of round up, mixed with Scythe, which is an acid, will take out just about any grass. We get some bermuda here in CT, and it is always a weed for us. Kill it and re seed with what you want.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upidstay
I have found that a good shot of round up, mixed with Scythe, which is an acid, will take out just about any grass. We get some bermuda here in CT, and it is always a weed for us. Kill it and re seed with what you want.
That combination will do less good than round up only on Bermuda. Sythe is good for quick kill, exactly what you don't want with Bermuda, remember that the control product needs to translocate through an extensive system of roots and tillers. Killing what you see is easy, its killing whats below ground that will determine long term success.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fertilize the Bermuda, get it as big as you can, nitrogen only. Then spray it with round -up, the more foliage you have the more product is delivered to the roots and the better kill you will have. Keep watering and fertilizing you want the roots to exhaust themselves putting out more foliage for you to spray. You are looking at repeat applications for at least two months and then when you think it is finally dead, I use a product called Bermuda root killer too. Its a homeowner granular product from H/D or most local nurseries comes in a cardboard can with a shaker top. Also don't remove the brown foliage until you are done killing it. It is a long ugly process.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how many times I posted this on here, so here it is again.

Acclaim + Turflon ester + spreader sticker + a little soluble N (maybe 0.1 lb/1000)= no bermuda.

Apply 3 - 4 times per year for 2 years = >90% control.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarvin4064
I don't know how many times I posted this on here, so here it is again.

Acclaim + Turflon ester + spreader sticker + a little soluble N (maybe 0.1 lb/1000)= no bermuda.

Apply 3 - 4 times per year for 2 years = >90% control.
Thanks Lilmarv I'll try that this year and next year on my own lawn before I start charging clients. I hope it works, nobody else is trying to get rid of it except with roundup, and as we all know that still comes back. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

vantage or fusilade is selective and works well.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 02-24-2006, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Too bad Acclaim isn't registered in CA. Roundup + Fusilade works a lot better than just Roundup.