Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I thought Montana was THEE paradise for Fly Fishin.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
I thought Montana was THEE paradise for Fly Fishin.
I think that is a common perception as that is all I used to hear and read about when I was young, there is a lot of water in Montana and I do love to fish The Madison, the spring creeks of the "Paradise Valley", Missouri, Bighorn, the Yellowstone and a few others. I think as the years have gone by Montana has gotten a lot more visitors and the population has grown, so you don't have the wide open spaces like it used to be ( "solitude
can definately be found though"). Many states have waters that can rival some of the water there but for scenery and quality of water, Montana is hard to beat.
Alaska has probably taken over as the #1 fishing destination and definately has more water, larger fish, more fish, and unrivaled scenery. But to be honest this is what i hear from others who have been to Alaska as I have not been fortunate to have made the trip yet. Greginalaska would know about this, so I hope he will give some input on this.
Ahhh, so much water and so little time to fish it all. I guess that is what keeps people fishin....... fysh.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr
I have heard a lot of people in my area talk about the soldotna area and the incredible fishing, how far out of Anchorage is it?
fysh.
About 150 miles by road, 65 or so by air.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Trigger creep is when you can feel the trigger moving (pulling) for a bit of a distance before it finally "breaks", and the hammer falls.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr
I think that is a common perception as that is all I used to hear and read about when I was young, there is a lot of water in Montana and I do love to fish The Madison, the spring creeks of the "Paradise Valley", Missouri, Bighorn, the Yellowstone and a few others. I think as the years have gone by Montana has gotten a lot more visitors and the population has grown, so you don't have the wide open spaces like it used to be ( "solitude
can definately be found though"). Many states have waters that can rival some of the water there but for scenery and quality of water, Montana is hard to beat.
Alaska has probably taken over as the #1 fishing destination and definately has more water, larger fish, more fish, and unrivaled scenery. But to be honest this is what i hear from others who have been to Alaska as I have not been fortunate to have made the trip yet. Greginalaska would know about this, so I hope he will give some input on this.
Ahhh, so much water and so little time to fish it all. I guess that is what keeps people fishin....... fysh.
That's right for the most part; it's probably right because Alaska is such a big, diverse place when you're talking about types of land, water, weather. The problem with Alaska is the lack of road system. The good places to fish, that you can reach from the road system, are over ran with tourists now days. There are TONS of good places to go off the road system but getting there can be really expensive. I would like to see a couple of new roads cut up here, one from Anchorage to Nome and another from Anchorage to the end of the Alaska Peninsula. This would open up a plethora of really good places to fish that the average guy could drive too. It would also make some new opportunity for somebody that wants to build roadside lodges, gas stations etc. The problem is that the air guides and outfitters have a lot of power in the Alaska state legislature and squash any idea of building new roads when they come up. Torques me off.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Play
Trigger creep is when you can feel the trigger moving (pulling) for a bit of a distance before it finally "breaks", and the hammer falls.
Luvs2play your gonna have to help me here, I'm a little slow on the uptake.
fysh.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Anybody getting out lately? I keep trying to but cannot seem to get on the water. fysh.