Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2006, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Herb. Lic.

Okay folks, got the old Herbicide License.....here's the question: Where's the money? I mean if a homeowner can buy anything he or she needs at Home Depot and spray it themselves....what's the use in a license??????
Old 02-24-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just guessing, but i can't picture the owner of the multi million dollar company out spraying the lawn. i make most of my money with business'.

plus most of that homeowner stuff isn't as good as the stuff pros can buy. theres a lot of factors, like age, or time. most old folks, and busy homeowners won't do it, so thats where you win and make the bucks.

good luck with it
Old 02-24-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most homeowners don't want to do it.
Most homeowners don't know how to do it.
Most homeowners don't have any idea what to do.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Toy2,

If you really want to look at it. Homeowners could cut their own grass, trim their own shrubs, mulch their beds, build their own retaining walls, shovel their own driveway(snow), etc. The answer has been posted. You are always going to have those that will do it themselves. However, there are still plenty that either can't (whatever the reason), or don't want to.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info....not sure if its only in Central Texas...but homeowners will not pay you extra money to do something they see everyday at HD. Now if only you could buy it...Round-Up Pro...etc, only you, then yes I see that they would pay the extra because they have to...but around here everyone whats the lowest price possible on everything.....example...customer calls you to fertilize the lawn..." I already have the bags of stuff" he tells you just to spread it......If you were the only one who could get yours hands on it...then I see a way to make money....otherwise its useless...
Old 02-25-2006, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2
Thanks for the info....not sure if its only in Central Texas...but homeowners will not pay you extra money to do something they see everyday at HD. Now if only you could buy it...Round-Up Pro...etc, only you, then yes I see that they would pay the extra because they have to...but around here everyone whats the lowest price possible on everything.....example...customer calls you to fertilize the lawn..." I already have the bags of stuff" he tells you just to spread it......If you were the only one who could get yours hands on it...then I see a way to make money....otherwise its useless...
I would say that being a licensed applicator is a waste of time and money for you, because you have no clue what to do with it. Leave the application business to someone else.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on thetype of area you work in, and the demographics. I know of areas that you would NEVER see soeone dropping a mower and cutting a lawn, let alone an application being done. It all has to do wity where the market is at. People that pay for the service are not just paying for x amount of fertilizer or herbicide (or whatever) to be delivered to them and applied. They are also paying for the expertise and knowledge, the ability to identify and cure future problems, and the confidence in knowing that it is done safely and correctly. - namely the RIGHT stuff being applied at the RIGHT amounts, and at the RIGHT time. THIS, afterall is a MAJOR part of just why licensing is required. It seperates those who know full, to those who have NOT been educated to a certain degree in the field.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.