Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Sponsor

LED's

I'm curious whether or not any of you have started using LED's. I'm especially interested to know how they've been holding up – any premature burnouts, performance issues, etc.

I attended a seminar given by leading LED researchers about a year ago. They were all in agreement that viable and reliable high intensity LED's were about 2 to 3 years away. Contrary to that, this past year has seen these products (especially MR16 LED's) flood into the market.

The biggest concern was with heat. LED's are especially sensitive to heat with lamp life reduced by 50% with a rise in temperature of about 18 degrees F. With incandescent lighting, a great proportion of the heat is radiated out as light energy. With LED's, virtually all of the generated heat is absorbed by the circuit board that holds the LED. For this reason, in most good LED designs large heat sinks are used to dissipate the heat. But when I look at the MR16 LED's I don't see a large heat sink and knowing that most MR16 fixtures are enclosed and many are in hot climates, I have to wonder.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I got LED flash lights and some small LED tail lights on one of my trailer. Both seem to hold up well. I wouldnt be crazy about the blue hue the LED's have for a lighting project on a home. Maybe for moon lighting but from my experience with LED's They got a little ways to come before Im willing to place them on a customers property. I wanted to try a few from noel to moon light our hot tub but it might be hard to do without it shining in your eyes when you layed your head back.

I think its definatly promising tho. I mean when you can fully light a whole property and draw just a tiny amount of wattage you gotta think. unless a product is proven I wouldnt want to install it at a customers house unless I knew them well. I plan to test any new merchandise at my house or families
Old 02-25-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Steve, we had a presentation at the LVLIA conference from a Sylvania guy and he said the same thing that you stated. It looks like its going to be awhile before they'll figure out how to keep those things cool enough to actually be practical for our use.

It is something that I am really looking forward to.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 02-26-2006, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Led

The LED is on the path to the future. I think in the not to distant future there will longer be the conventional bulbs that we are now using in our homes and businesses.
With regard to landscape lighting there are many advantages to consider:
No heat .. they do not get hot
use very little wattage: .. large spots about 1 watt plus or minus
long life: we claim 11 yr life but actually it is much longer
safety. Hi voltage and water is a problem.. LED in pools ponds super.
disadvantages...
not as bright.. this is changing fast. we already have some super bright LED's in stock and the next generation is coming.
white color has blue tint.. This and the other colors are more suited for "washing" walls or rocks with light. The effect is great when blended with halogen lights. The long life makes it easy to use with pavers or other hardscape. We have coming in the next generation of paver lights, fully protected and ideal for a drive, walk, and patio. (they also change colors)
We have in stock direct replacement LED MR-16. Tired of changing lamps just plug one of these babies in and "forget about it."
One other problem is they can not at this time be run at higher than 12v, but higher is not necessary since they do not use much current.
We have them in stainless steel , various sizes to be used as well lights, spot lights, in pools, ponds , waterfalls, mulch , decks etc. They are really another good item to play with.
Note the color is the color of the LED and not a filter. available in white, red, green , amber, blue. I like to use green against pine trees and fences, white for rocks and walls, blue in water.
Attached Images

WEB: www.frog-lights.com
EMAIL: frog_lights@yahoo.com
Old 02-26-2006, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I still think they need to be more proven before im willing to leave them with a customer. I think your definatly correct about them being the future though noel.

Still waiting for some for my house so we can moonlight with them.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, it's been 2-3 years out.

Have the viable LED's made landfall yet?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

depends on who you talk too...........................
Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm locked up in a hotel room with my family in America's most boring state capital and have nothing better to do but scroll back to the lighting forum's earlier posts and then reply to them. I slept on the floor last night to save myself from a sleeper sofa.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

You forgot to mention one major disadvantage of LED lights for those of us in the northern U.S. and Canada. Their lack of heat output often means that they will disappear under a heavy snowfall, whereas traditional tungsten halogen lamps easily melt through snow, creating a dramatic landscape as the light reflects off the snow.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Christopher Walken!! How's it goin' man?

You know James is all into LED's and he's got like permafrost up there. It might be different in his market than Boston, since most people use those properties as summer homes.

Us southerners on the other hand, have nothing to worry about.