Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2000, 04:41 PM

I fired a 21 yr old guy on his first day after 30 minutes. Just didn't look like his heart was into it. Poking along like a 80 year old man. Took him bakc to his home lol.
Old 04-05-2000, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Your too nice to take them back home. If I fire someone in the field, I drop them off at the closest bus stop. Time is to valuable to worry about dealing with people that are too sorry to work. <p>One notable firing I had to do a few weeks ago may help some of you. I had an employee that did good work in the field and was always talking and explaining things to customers and neighbors. (He was on one of the crews so I was only around part of the time) One night I get a call from a guy I had never heard of asking when we would be finishing his landscaping.<p>Come to find out, my &quot;employee&quot; had taken some scraggly azaleas from next door that should have been going to the dump and sold them to the neighbor for $65. Obviously the $65 went in his pocket and he had no intention of coming back to replant the azaleas. <p>After firing him I had several additional people call and ask when their pine needles would be delivered. It appears this guy would take a $50 deposit and promise to deliver needles in the next week or so. I have to assume he was going to steal the needles out of my inventory and drop them off the next week during regular maintenance. Since then I have tightened up my employee agreement and made sure to keep a better eye on my inventories and policy against moonlighting. If I had not gotten a phone call complaint, he could have probably stolen 10-20 bales a week and I probably wouldn't have caught on until summer when needle work slows down.
Old 04-05-2000, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

30 minutes is pretty fast. Usually, I start newbies out on a time job we do for a factory, that way if they suck, my customer picks up the tab. Then at the end of the day I fire them.<br>I once fired 7 guys at once. Sad thing is that none of them could read or write and none was over 29 years old. That broke my heart but they would'nt work either so I just laid them off even though I was swamped.
Old 04-06-2000, 07:26 AM

Mountain Man, the reason I took him home is that he was my neighbors son lol. I knew his history and was trying to do them a favor and give him a chance. I could see right off that he didn't want to work. Nothing irritates me more than a healthy person(who need money) not wanting to work. Just being plain lazy. osc 7 at one huh? lol Well you gotta do what u gotta do.
Old 04-06-2000, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

It is tough to fire someone that is a friend family menber etc. I had my friends, wife, and others work for me in other businesses. Since this one is labor intensive and demanding I've tried to avoid hiring anyone I know. It is not worth the headache of jeopardizing friendships/family etc over a laborer. <p>Charles: What did your neighbor say when the kid showed back up at home an hour later?
Old 04-06-2000, 07:08 PM

Mountain Man. The man father was out in his yard when I picked him up and was still there when I brought him back lol I think he understood , because he has never mentioned it. he new the kid was lazy.
Old 04-10-2000, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Half an hour? A new world record. Shortest time I had someone work for me was 1 hour.He<br>was as slow as a wet week and wouldn't work<br>in an iron lung.
Old 04-12-2000, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Not to brag or anything guys, but my temp service once sent me a guy who showed up holding a 40 ouncer. This specimen first went<br>to my crew leader took a swig of his Colt 45<br>then asked for a light to fire up a joint.<br>Needless to say this whole thing was over in about 10 minutes.
Old 04-12-2000, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had to fire somebody after 5 years today. <p>I'll take the same day firing anytime over that.
Old 04-12-2000, 02:56 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
gus wrote:<br>&gt;Not to brag or anything guys, but my temp service once sent me a guy who showed up holding a 40 ouncer. This specimen first went<br>to my crew leader took a swig of his Colt 45<br>then asked for a light to fire up a joint.<br>Needless to say this whole thing was over in about 10 minutes. <br> <br>WOW that must have been one big joint.<p>How did you manage to get any work done <br>that day?