Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Wayne Landscaping's Avatar
Wayne Landscaping Wayne Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 237
Bulk Gasoline?

Has anyone ever had gasoline delivered to them. How much does bulk gasoline cost vs. going to the station. DO you need a contract, who do you contact? Thanks
__________________
SCAG TIGER CUB 48" 19hp
1999 UZJ 100
Maxwell 12*72" trailer
Stihl 4mix

"WE ONLY HURT THE ONES WE LOVE"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Az Gardener Az Gardener is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,893
I looked into it about 5-6 years ago while in A partnership we had about a dozen trucks. The time to refuel alone drove me nuts all I could see was my 4-6 man crews getting their lunch and drink every other morning at my expense. Any way the fuel cost savings was'nt that great maybe 3-5% but it was the labor savings I was looking for. The companies around here would supply the tank and pump charge a small set-up fee less than 500.00 problem was with the local regulations and liability. We were on a county island and operating on 12 acres with a grandfather clause that could be revoked with some public opposition. So my partners did'nt want to rock the boat. But there were significant savings and reduced liability on the road, to refueling at the yard. About a year later the fuel line that feeds Phx. was cut and there was a gas shortage for a couple of weeks they were really regretting the decision then.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Wayne Landscaping's Avatar
Wayne Landscaping Wayne Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
I looked into it about 5-6 years ago while in A partnership we had about a dozen trucks. The time to refuel alone drove me nuts all I could see was my 4-6 man crews getting their lunch and drink every other morning at my expense. Any way the fuel cost savings was'nt that great maybe 3-5% but it was the labor savings I was looking for. The companies around here would supply the tank and pump charge a small set-up fee less than 500.00 problem was with the local regulations and liability. We were on a county island and operating on 12 acres with a grandfather clause that could be revoked with some public opposition. So my partners did'nt want to rock the boat. But there were significant savings and reduced liability on the road, to refueling at the yard. About a year later the fuel line that feeds Phx. was cut and there was a gas shortage for a couple of weeks they were really regretting the decision then.
Thanks, so what would i have to do, like buy a huge tank and call a local station to see if they could bring there tanks over here, and how much do they charge, like the price at the time of day @ a 5% reduction, or like a set fee, thanks.
__________________
SCAG TIGER CUB 48" 19hp
1999 UZJ 100
Maxwell 12*72" trailer
Stihl 4mix

"WE ONLY HURT THE ONES WE LOVE"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2006, 02:50 PM
grass_cuttin_fool's Avatar
grass_cuttin_fool grass_cuttin_fool is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,505
You will need to contact a distibuter, the company that delivers to a local station. I think that you will find that unless you buy a transport load 8600-9200 gallons that they will off load it on a smaller delivery truck and then deliver to you. Each time the fuel is handled they charge more for it. It will probably cost you about the same as you can buy it at the pump. Also you will have to have a holding tank in case you have a leak plus the chance of theft also.Do some price checking and regulation checking before buying a tank

wayne
__________________
To my dad, Thanx Pops you are my dad, my brother , and my best friend



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Az Gardener Az Gardener is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,893
I just started in the yellow pages under bulk fuel or mobile fueling. All we would of had to do is build a large bermed area that the tank that they would have supplied would sit in. The bermed area was to contain spillage. I am sure this will vary from area to area. We were looking at a 500G reg tank and a 500g diesel tank we also would need to provide 110 elt for the pump.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2006, 04:07 PM
CLARK LAWN's Avatar
CLARK LAWN CLARK LAWN is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: youngstown, ohio
Posts: 2,517
you should check with your local fire dept. first to see if you are even allowed to store bulk gasoline at your location.alot of places will allow diesel but not gasoline and if they do all the regulations may not make it worth it.
__________________
www.clarklawn.com

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Flow Control's Avatar
Flow Control Flow Control is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio/Florida
Posts: 1,273
My friend owns a gas/lube supply company. They sell about 50,000,000 (yes millions) gallons of diesel/regular gas every year. I inquired about it before he told me that you only save a few % on the gas but like the other person said you end up saving the labor and that is where you will notice the difference in savings. Your guys may spend 15-20 minutes filling up and getting a snack times 2 to 4 workers times a couple of days a week. The have also been installing "smart tanks" so when the fuel gets down to a certain level the tank will send a message to dispatch for more fuel. I believe the tanks start in the 300 gallon range but I may be wrong. And since they want your business getting a tank is next to nothing in cost. And the little customer is just as important as the frieght companies. The system they work on is EFT's so in 3 days of delivery the money is removed from your account. And you do have to check locally about any codes for fuel tanks. You can also buy bulk oil from his company too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Wayne Landscaping's Avatar
Wayne Landscaping Wayne Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
My friend owns a gas/lube supply company. They sell about 50,000,000 (yes millions) gallons of diesel/regular gas every year. I inquired about it before he told me that you only save a few % on the gas but like the other person said you end up saving the labor and that is where you will notice the difference in savings. Your guys may spend 15-20 minutes filling up and getting a snack times 2 to 4 workers times a couple of days a week. The have also been installing "smart tanks" so when the fuel gets down to a certain level the tank will send a message to dispatch for more fuel. I believe the tanks start in the 300 gallon range but I may be wrong. And since they want your business getting a tank is next to nothing in cost. And the little customer is just as important as the frieght companies. The system they work on is EFT's so in 3 days of delivery the money is removed from your account. And you do have to check locally about any codes for fuel tanks. You can also buy bulk oil from his company too.
Thanks for all your help, do you have a link for a delivery company?? Thanks
__________________
SCAG TIGER CUB 48" 19hp
1999 UZJ 100
Maxwell 12*72" trailer
Stihl 4mix

"WE ONLY HURT THE ONES WE LOVE"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2006, 07:50 PM
General Landscaping General Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 802
Back at the farm, we switched to all "portable" tanks after the testing and dig up regulations went into place.
It's basically a tank on a trailer with a 12V pump. Since it is portable, there is no berm/containment issues. It is not buried, so inspection is a non-issue.
Farms may have different rules applying to them; but a "portable" tank would be worth looking into.
I'm pretty sure it is not allowed out on the open road(if it was, I'm sure it would be towed into town vs. having a tank come out)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
gene gls's Avatar
gene gls gene gls is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Granville, Ma. 01034
Posts: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Landscaping
Has anyone ever had gasoline delivered to them. How much does bulk gasoline cost vs. going to the station. DO you need a contract, who do you contact? Thanks
Check with some of your local farmers. My inlaws have had tanks at the farm for years. There is a local fuel company that handles everything. They supply some of the small gas stations in the hill towns. A friend of mine went into raising stalk tabacco and ended up putting a tank in the back of his pickup for the tractors in the field.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.11568 seconds with 7 queries