Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2006, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Bulk Gasoline?

Has anyone ever had gasoline delivered to them. How much does bulk gasoline cost vs. going to the station. DO you need a contract, who do you contact? Thanks
Stihl 4mix

"WE ONLY HURT THE ONES WE LOVE"
Old 02-26-2006, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I looked into it about 5-6 years ago while in A partnership we had about a dozen trucks. The time to refuel alone drove me nuts all I could see was my 4-6 man crews getting their lunch and drink every other morning at my expense. Any way the fuel cost savings was'nt that great maybe 3-5% but it was the labor savings I was looking for. The companies around here would supply the tank and pump charge a small set-up fee less than 500.00 problem was with the local regulations and liability. We were on a county island and operating on 12 acres with a grandfather clause that could be revoked with some public opposition. So my partners did'nt want to rock the boat. But there were significant savings and reduced liability on the road, to refueling at the yard. About a year later the fuel line that feeds Phx. was cut and there was a gas shortage for a couple of weeks they were really regretting the decision then.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener
I looked into it about 5-6 years ago while in A partnership we had about a dozen trucks. The time to refuel alone drove me nuts all I could see was my 4-6 man crews getting their lunch and drink every other morning at my expense. Any way the fuel cost savings was'nt that great maybe 3-5% but it was the labor savings I was looking for. The companies around here would supply the tank and pump charge a small set-up fee less than 500.00 problem was with the local regulations and liability. We were on a county island and operating on 12 acres with a grandfather clause that could be revoked with some public opposition. So my partners did'nt want to rock the boat. But there were significant savings and reduced liability on the road, to refueling at the yard. About a year later the fuel line that feeds Phx. was cut and there was a gas shortage for a couple of weeks they were really regretting the decision then.
Thanks, so what would i have to do, like buy a huge tank and call a local station to see if they could bring there tanks over here, and how much do they charge, like the price at the time of day @ a 5% reduction, or like a set fee, thanks.
Stihl 4mix

Old 02-26-2006, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You will need to contact a distibuter, the company that delivers to a local station. I think that you will find that unless you buy a transport load 8600-9200 gallons that they will off load it on a smaller delivery truck and then deliver to you. Each time the fuel is handled they charge more for it. It will probably cost you about the same as you can buy it at the pump. Also you will have to have a holding tank in case you have a leak plus the chance of theft also.Do some price checking and regulation checking before buying a tank

wayne

Old 02-26-2006, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just started in the yellow pages under bulk fuel or mobile fueling. All we would of had to do is build a large bermed area that the tank that they would have supplied would sit in. The bermed area was to contain spillage. I am sure this will vary from area to area. We were looking at a 500G reg tank and a 500g diesel tank we also would need to provide 110 elt for the pump.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you should check with your local fire dept. first to see if you are even allowed to store bulk gasoline at your location.alot of places will allow diesel but not gasoline and if they do all the regulations may not make it worth it.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 02-26-2006, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend owns a gas/lube supply company. They sell about 50,000,000 (yes millions) gallons of diesel/regular gas every year. I inquired about it before he told me that you only save a few % on the gas but like the other person said you end up saving the labor and that is where you will notice the difference in savings. Your guys may spend 15-20 minutes filling up and getting a snack times 2 to 4 workers times a couple of days a week. The have also been installing "smart tanks" so when the fuel gets down to a certain level the tank will send a message to dispatch for more fuel. I believe the tanks start in the 300 gallon range but I may be wrong. And since they want your business getting a tank is next to nothing in cost. And the little customer is just as important as the frieght companies. The system they work on is EFT's so in 3 days of delivery the money is removed from your account. And you do have to check locally about any codes for fuel tanks. You can also buy bulk oil from his company too.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
My friend owns a gas/lube supply company. They sell about 50,000,000 (yes millions) gallons of diesel/regular gas every year. I inquired about it before he told me that you only save a few % on the gas but like the other person said you end up saving the labor and that is where you will notice the difference in savings. Your guys may spend 15-20 minutes filling up and getting a snack times 2 to 4 workers times a couple of days a week. The have also been installing "smart tanks" so when the fuel gets down to a certain level the tank will send a message to dispatch for more fuel. I believe the tanks start in the 300 gallon range but I may be wrong. And since they want your business getting a tank is next to nothing in cost. And the little customer is just as important as the frieght companies. The system they work on is EFT's so in 3 days of delivery the money is removed from your account. And you do have to check locally about any codes for fuel tanks. You can also buy bulk oil from his company too.
Thanks for all your help, do you have a link for a delivery company?? Thanks
Stihl 4mix

Old 02-26-2006, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back at the farm, we switched to all "portable" tanks after the testing and dig up regulations went into place.
It's basically a tank on a trailer with a 12V pump. Since it is portable, there is no berm/containment issues. It is not buried, so inspection is a non-issue.
Farms may have different rules applying to them; but a "portable" tank would be worth looking into.
I'm pretty sure it is not allowed out on the open road(if it was, I'm sure it would be towed into town vs. having a tank come out)
Old 02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Landscaping
Has anyone ever had gasoline delivered to them. How much does bulk gasoline cost vs. going to the station. DO you need a contract, who do you contact? Thanks
Check with some of your local farmers. My inlaws have had tanks at the farm for years. There is a local fuel company that handles everything. They supply some of the small gas stations in the hill towns. A friend of mine went into raising stalk tabacco and ended up putting a tank in the back of his pickup for the tractors in the field.