Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2001, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

84 C10 350/TH350. I want to put an open element air filter on. It currently has stock air cleaner housing w/Duct to outside. How will this affect performance, good or bad? I am concerned about not having cool air into the carb. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2001, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On a stock engine such as yours, I don't think you will see much difference in performance compared to the factory air cleaner setup. There will probably be more induction (intake) noise with the open element filter.

In winter, an open element air cleaner may cause driveability problems as a result of too much cold air going into the carb.

Since your current setup has the duct running to the outside of the engine bay, the air your engine is taking in is as cool as possible already. An open element unit will draw in the (warmer) air from under the hood.

Are you having any problems with engine performance right now? If you are, I don't think that switching to an open element air cleaner will solve the problem - just my $.02 worth (about $.01 after you factor in the US/Cdn exchange rate! )
Old 04-20-2001, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if you drive in severe cold in the winter-your carb could ice up since you no loger have a snorkel,and heat stove working-I had it happen to me-15 below zero and it will freeze the carb throats right up,til it stalls,other than that it'll make more noise.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

DOH!!!!. I wanted to do it more for looks than performance. :-( But I was concerned about the cool air-flow into the carb. I didn't even think about the heat stove. Doesn't work anyway. Oh Well..... Life goes on.... Thanks anyway.