Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-27-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

What to do in the mean time???

Well as for me I will not be mowing anytime soon due to the lack of rain. All my lawns look like brown parking lots... out of the clients I have I say 5-8 have a sprinkler system and half of those dont even water. SO I wanted to see what some of yall could come up with in the mean time?? I have been doing some small landscaping jobs here and there but even those are starting to slow down. Last year I wanted to get into plant lawns and doing more landscaping but with no rain people dont want grass planted. Maybe its just the area I am in or maybe its like this all over my city I dont know. If there is anyone else In san antonio working your a$$ off more power to you and tell me what your doing. I was thinking about putting an add in the paper and see what I can come up with...this time last year I was already mowing lawns and doing clean ups but not this year. Well let me know what yall think and thanks for letting me vent some.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have no rain all summer, but all of my props have sprinkler systems which I control, when I want and how I want, so I guess I have a little advantage.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in virginia and things are normally slow this time of year because it's still winter here, but...

For the most part, during slow times I find it helpful to stay busy by doing maintenance on the machines - Go over every piece of equipment, see what needs fixing and do it, you'll not only be surprised what you will find needs fixing, but you'll thank yourself later in the year for having done it (such as when there comes a time so busy you got to run a machine for 6-8 months straight with no maintenance). Check bearings, belts, tires, plugs, filters, springs, clips, and adjust stuff, etc, etc, make it 'perfect' now so you don't have to later.

Also think of ways to make your job easier, like maybe building a shed for the equipment or getting the tools all setup and straight again, clean up some, stuff like that.

Before you know it, things will pick up again.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I live up near the DFW metroplex... Things are always slow this time of year. My partner and I are planning on the week of March 13th to start everything up again. By then the grass should be turning out of dormancy with all the rain and the expectation of warmer weather.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody82986
I live up near the DFW metroplex... Things are always slow this time of year. My partner and I are planning on the week of March 13th to start everything up again. By then the grass should be turning out of dormancy with all the rain and the expectation of warmer weather.
Send some of that rain north please!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

we could send you some of our single digit temps and snow becuase we are just about done with it.
Toro Proline 44" WB T-Bar
Toro 21"
Echo trimmers
Echo blowers
Stihl
Echo Pas230 ( Broom & Edger & Articulating trimmer)
Big Tex 5x10 trailer
Haulmark enclosed 8.5x20
Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys
Old 02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Maybe get a head start on your spring cleanups awhile, so your not so swamped with work once mid-March comes around, especially when you may have some new customers coming up--and as topsites said, equipment maintenance is also a good thing to do right now, since you have the time to devote and throughly go through every machine and do whatever needs done.

Jasom