Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sprinkler heads without the system

I saw a thing on Ask This Old House where the landscaping guy helped a lady in texas install sprinkler heads for her lawn. They weren't connected to an underground system, though. THey were just the heads with a connection for a regular lawn hose. Anyone know anything about these?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Are they the impact heads with the bayonet base stuck in concrete? I have seen old sprinklers like that and whirly heads which were set in place, and then the hoses were attatched with some kind of "quick coupler" attatchment. Then a tap was located close by at a wall or post. Not sure why they just didn't bury pipes...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe ran a tee from the spigot and just buried some black line? Sounds like a "do-it-youselfer" day project to me..... Is that what they did?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have done this before...its quite easy to do. I used impact sprinklers and hose. The problem that you end up with is water pressure. I was able to get 3 impact sprinklers off of one line. I had 4 lines total on timers. I have also seen this done with inground sprinkler heads using pvc above ground. The use a stake to hold up the head. Once again the problem is pressure though.

I would not suggest using the first method unless it is on your yard. There is some maintenance involved. Heads going bad...so on. The second method would be better...but much more expensive. It could be used on a customers yard though.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure coulden't do that here..ground squirrells and gofers would have a heyday with chewing it up in no time.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You all should see my white trash irrigation I have in my own lawn! I have 3/4 inch pvc running along both sides of the back yard including areas of garden hose that i actually buried about 4 inches deep. The front yard is just hoses on both sides, one runs along the fenceline and the other just runs along the edge of the driveway. I have 5 solenoid valves in an above ground manifold that is ran off of a booster pump I hooked up to, get this... my outside faucets on the house! I actually hooked BOTH the front and back faucet to the pump to get better flow to the pump, yes it did improve the pressure by using both. I can run about 12 to 14 gpm and maintain about 40 psi. without the booster pump I'm lucky to squeeze out 6 gpm at 30 psi. the valves are hooked into a timer as well. The pump has both a pump relay and a pressure switch. The pressure switch kicks the pump on when I run a hose as well. Made filling my sprayer tank take about 1/2 the time! The pump and valves is tucked behind my a/c unit and the pvc pipe only really is noticeable if you are looking for it. I'd be happy for any volunteers close by if they want to try a plow out, I will gladly donate my lawn as a testing ground!

MTD Man, I have seen the sprinklers you speak of, at Lowes actually. Personally I don't see the point, you have to drag a hose to each one and plug it in, you could do the same job with 1 sprinkler on the end of the hose, not a half dozen in the ground... The ones I saw looked pretty cheap, yet were pretty expensive for what it was, if I recall like 35 bucks each...
Old 03-01-2006, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you can get a system at HD pop up heads control vales and timers. I used it at my parents house 2 stations wasn't worth spending the money on a real thing to small
Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

zone one runs 2 pop ups zone 2 runs the drip for the beds
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It was a big black pop up sprinkler head. They buried the head, and there was an attatchment that you screwed your garden hose into. The woman didn't want to spend the $$ on a system, she had a small yard. So they put in two heads and split the hoses instead.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I saw that episode myself. The set up seemed very easy. She was also hot.