Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-26-2006, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Education?!?!

Don't really know where this post belongs but I thought this might be best. I'm looking to get into school for a turf management program. I wanted to know if any of you guys here have ever taken a course online to get this degree? If so what school? How was the program? Were you full or part time in school and how hard was it to complete with doing lawn & landscape work during that time. Any info would be great! Please let me know!

BCF Lawn & Landscape
'05 Chevy 2500HD
'05 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
18' Enclosed Trailer
20' Enclosed Trailer
24' Liberty Gooseneck Bobcat Trailer
18' Landscape Curbing Trailer
60" Cub Commercial Tank
60" Cub Commercial Recon
2 52" Wright Standers
36" Cub Commercial Walk Behind
763 Bobcat
Stihl weedeaters and Blowers
7.5' Meyers Snow Plow
8' Blizzard Snow Plow
10 Foot Snow Box
Old 02-27-2006, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you really want a degree in Turf Management, you will have to attend a school that offers the program. You cannot learn all there is learn about turf or landscaping from books. If you are seeking an education in turf management, you must have aspirations of golf course work or estate work and you need the experience of knowledgeable instructors for that. With the way the turf and landscape industries are evolving a book printed last year is virtually out of date. The interaction of instructors and students yearly yields new and important results. I am only familiar firsthand with the program at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ and know how good the 2 year turf program is. http://aesop.rutgers.edu/~ocpe/cours...nt/at0202.html You can get more information at Cook College. I have been told that many major schools around the country with agricultural or landscape programs offers similar courses of study. I am sure if you talked with any superintendent of a quality golf course, they have attended a program like this. The Rutgers course is a two year condensed course that offers a degree in turf management. All of the golf course supers or assistants in this state have been to the Rutgers course or one similar to it. It is intense and serious preparation and participation by the student is mandatory, but the knowledge gained will be well worth the effort.

If you seek advanced general knowledge of turf, then short courses usually taught during the winter months are offered at many of the same schools. They will have basics course of turf, including IPM, pesticide applications, identification of pests, diseases and weeds and how to control all of the. Good programs will also include soils, drainage and irrigation classes. Most of the same information needed for landscapers to take their knowledge and business to the next level.

Kirk
Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you need to look into your local colleges and universities. I go to UConn for landscape architecture, but most of my classes are in the same building as all the Turf students. theres some serious chemistry and biology as well as other sciences involved in that field. I have to take horticulture classes as well for my major, so theres a lot involved in a turf degree.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

get out of the cold and go warm....UF
http://turf.ufl.edu/, they have a great Hort Program....
Old 02-28-2006, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come to MSU for their turfgrass program. I have take a few classes in the turfgrass program along side my program. I thought it was very worthwhile.
MJLsLawnCareNmore@hotmail.com
Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody has mentioned the #1 turf school in the country - Penn State. They have an online degree program. Dreams To Design is right about getting a hands on education. An online or correspondence course might help a little if you have a lot of experience. And stay away from Michigan State, their claim to fame is growing turf in movable pods to make it easier to replace the grass when it dies. Why don't they just learn to grow better grass in the first place?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

BCF,

I know you are looking online, but have you looked into OSU's turf program. I am currently about to graduate in Landscape Horticulture from OSU. I've been able to still maintain my business while going to school. The last two years I have been home spring quarter working. (First year I took two night classes that transfered and this last year got credit hours for my "internship" working for myself). Fall quarter doesn't start til the end of September and winter quarter finishes up the middle of March.

If there's anything I could help you with up at OSU PM me.

Dave

Love your job and never work another day in your life.

I wish my grass was emo, that way it would cut itself...
Old 03-01-2006, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

tifton georgia has one of the best trufgrass programs..
that's where all the tiff bermuda's come from (tiffway, tiffgreen, tiffsport.. etc..)
there are several others that are awesome as well.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 03-01-2006, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I took 2 home study course that were excellent - though no match for classroom study courses as several have pointed out. The first was the University of Georgia, Turfgrass manager course. The 2nd was Purdue University Turfgrass Pest Manager course. As I said, both were good, though I think the Georgia was a little more detailed for someone who had less beginning knowledge. The Purdue class kind of built on the Georgia class. Both give you certification, which is a good selling point. It might be a good way to start, with classroom courses a more detailed option.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUturf
Nobody has mentioned the #1 turf school in the country - Penn State. They have an online degree program. Dreams To Design is right about getting a hands on education. An online or correspondence course might help a little if you have a lot of experience. And stay away from Michigan State, their claim to fame is growing turf in movable pods to make it easier to replace the grass when it dies. Why don't they just learn to grow better grass in the first place?
PSU #1?? HAHAHAHAHA. Their Professors left that school to teach at much better MSU. I've been to PSU, Rutgers, Purdue, no where near as big or as good as MSU. Moveable pods were an experiment 10 years ago to grow natural grass inside a Dome for World Cup Soccer. A one time thing. Since then MSU has developed grass to grow in low light conditions. Low Light turf from MSU was the first used in Argentina for soccer fields. MSU's progams are geared to the sporting use of turf, i.e, Golf, Sports fields, etc. MSU's programs are utilized in Germany, Japan, China, South America, Australia, etc. Maybe you ought to visit MSU before you bash it.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill

Last edited by Grassmechanic; 03-01-2006 at 09:37 AM.