Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2006, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

earthworms

is it possible to purchase hundreds of live earthworms and spread them out in a yard to help aerate. Do you need thousands or a million for this to work? I know it is more efficient to aerate the lawn and apply compost, but i was just wondering if this would help? What exactly are worm castings?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well they have to have certain conditions to survive.Ya can't just throw them out on a yard and expect them to live.
Worm castings are worm poop.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up "Early Morning or Late Afternoon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerma
is it possible to purchase hundreds of live earthworms and spread them out in a yard to help aerate. Do you need thousands or a million for this to work? I know it is more efficient to aerate the lawn and apply compost, but i was just wondering if this would help? What exactly are worm castings?
Hello, Red Wigglers seem to work the "Best"..........Why would you want worm castings?..........Healthy soil has worms......an indication of organic matter......Worm casting are the "End Result", right the worm poop.......to many worms can ruin a good soil, by depleting the organic matter essential to Healthy Soil.......Worm Casting dont equate to other manures, while adding them to a hard soil helps to loosen it as does gypsum, it [ the casting] have very little neutrient value.........my money's with the Pig Farmers
Old 03-01-2006, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are companies that sell worms in qty. A friend of mine bought a few thousand of them a number of years ago. She and her husband were going into the compost and bait business. I would just try Googling "earth worms" and see where that takes you.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not agree
worm castings are great soil enhancers
Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

www.AdvancedPrairie.com

They sell a worm egg?? product for establishing earthworms in your soil.

My understanding of adding earthworms is that in order to have good results, the worms need to be born at the site. Worms live out their lives in their burrows, eating their way thru the soil. Placing adult worms in the soil usually results in death of the worms since they dont have their burrows to live in. they cant just dig new homes over nite.

Dont take my word on this because I am just repeating what I have heard.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good worm site

Not all worms are the same, some need homes and others just sort of roam around eatin organic matter. Lots of info out there here is a good site http://www.wormman.com/ I got my red wigglers there, they recycle my kitchen scraps.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A little is a good thing [ at least in this case]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
I do not agree
worm castings are great soil enhancers
Talk to any Composting Operation, there are limits to everything........"The Soil Food Web"....does all our testing......they are a reconized industry testing lab [ international]..........if you feel the need pick up the phone,talk to Paul.........[ in NY]........"Listen Lady"......1-3 grubs per sq ft is a liveable tolerance, more than that and its time for a Benificial Release.........
Old 03-02-2006, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nocutting...Are we talking about a lawn or a composting operation? I believe worm castings don't have the most nutrient value, but do have a lot of micronutrients that other composted manures do not have. I don't follow the Soil Food Web remarks either, as they have worm casting links all over their website and literature. Why the grub reference?
I'm not expecting an answer because you still haven't answered the question about not aerating your tea and the anaerobic bacteria involved.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Matt........?......apparently I missed Something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn
Nocutting...Are we talking about a lawn or a composting operation? I believe worm castings don't have the most nutrient value, but do have a lot of micronutrients that other composted manures do not have. I don't follow the Soil Food Web remarks either, as they have worm casting links all over their website and literature. Why the grub reference?
I'm not expecting an answer because you still haven't answered the question about not aerating your tea and the anaerobic bacteria involved.
Matt, lets start at the end......teas, some aerated, some not.......teas, some for composting, some for foliar applications [ not all teas are created equally or for the same purpose]........Matt who are the people that push the aerated teas? [ for the most part].......lol, the guys selling the fancy tea brew systems..........Matt just cause a tea isnt aerated doesnt mean it lacks anaerobic bacteria........and did I ever say I never aerate any teas? ever?.....Me, like most of you guys probably started out the same way, probably didnt know you could have a well balanced tea if it wasnt aerated, probably didnt realize there was a differance in teas or they had differnt purposes?..........Matt, as a Lawn/ Landscape Professional, which kind of tea would be most benificial in your day to day operations?............and why?......Matt when you say you dont follow the Soil Food Webs remarks, whats the basis of that remark?[ your opionion?, scientific fact? not what your employer wants you to believe?]....they are a Internationally reconized soil testing lab with the highest credentials........Matt, doesnt it trouble in the slightest that a lot of the "tea"info is released by people that never really ever use it, [ but build and sell brewers?]..........Again, I'm not sure where you are comeing from, I've been releaseing Benificial Insects, & bacteria since the early 80's..........done field studies under the guidance of a plant pathologist, entomologist and soil scientist.....projects not funded by any chemial giant, but of actual properties under my care [and not in a vacume, but out in the field]..........IPM / OPM.....regarding the grubs?......just cause a soil has them, do they have to be eradicated?.........Worms, sure a few are great, but an abundance is lethal to a healty soil [ weather its on a lawn or a compost facility].......Matt if your going to give "US" your "Beliefs or Opionions", it may be to your best intrest to spend $15 bucks for a rapid tester, and look into "castings", or better yet, take [3] 4x4 ft areas and start your own testing, I'd luv to hear your results?...............Just like to apologize, to anyone who stumbled in to this topic, and didnt realize it was the setting for the "OK" corral................Matt, just "PM" me if I miss something that you feel is important, and I'll do my best to get on it, Regards to all, Saxon