Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2006, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dethatching

Is dethatching a good idea? How often should it be done? What do you do with the thatch left behind?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never push dethatching but it always seems to follow me. I get alot of my customers that want their lawn dethatched in the spring. I pick up all the thatch with my mower and bag it up. It is the one and only time I pull out the bagging unit to pick up grass.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I do alot of spring dethatching. I will show up early spring, run a snapper power rake on the lawn and then cut the lawn bagging it all up. I use a exmark walk behind, and it really does a very nice job of cleaning up all the thatch the power rake pulls up to the surface. It really fills your truck up fast. But man o man does it look nice. Hit the spring fert application, then in a couple weeks they have the nicest looking lawn on the block(except for my other customers who take advantage of my spring deal, then it's a tie on who looks the best) Works for me and my customers, by removing the thatch layer you promote a thicker, healthier lawn. And we all know thats good, right?? Any other question just ask and ye shall recieve thy answers. good luck!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Spring dethatching is popular around here with customers. We charge about triple the cost of a mowing. I use the JRCO dethatcher on my ZTR. You have to be carefull how you sell the service, the JRCO just rakes it, doesn't really dethatch, but 95% of the customers are very happy with that. It gives me a couple of weeks of work before the lawns start growing.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dethatching also depends on the type of grass. Some grassed hardly ever need to be thatched while others need it done yearly.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking about investing in a Blue Bird dethatcher with a bag. I am a small operator 40 miles outside of Chicago. Dethatching is a seasonal thing around here. I have heard that people charge $80.00 and up for a yard. I was thinking of starting at $100.00 a yard, baging the clippings and leaving them for the homeowner. Does this sound fair and equitable?
SER
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In canada we call it "Power Rake/Vac" it is my best part of the year. We do alot of it, prob 3 weeks staright.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

All my spring cleanups consist of a thatching. I also have the jrco attachment for the zero turn and it works great. Although it doesn't actually cut the thatch with vertical blades it really does a nice job. Well worth the investment and is alot faster then using a actual thatching unit.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great answers! Thankyou. I will be using my garden tractor w/50" cut and am wondering if I should go with a front mount dethacher or a pull behind dethacher of the add on dethacher for my lawn sweeper to pick the thatch up? What would y'all recommend? I am leaning towards a front mount dethacher.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SER
I was thinking about investing in a Blue Bird dethatcher with a bag. I am a small operator 40 miles outside of Chicago. Dethatching is a seasonal thing around here. I have heard that people charge $80.00 and up for a yard. I was thinking of starting at $100.00 a yard, baging the clippings and leaving them for the homeowner. Does this sound fair and equitable?
SER
SER,

I live in wheaton and I have been charging $100 per lawn to dethatch and I pick up the thatch and leave it for the customer to dispose of like you are planning on doing. This has work out very well for me and the service sells its self every year.

Good luck!