Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Not to hijack this thread but I just found out that it's not recommended to dethatch st. augustine, can you use a power rake instead or would just aerating be the best? Thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Go for it. Do it as an early first mow as long as the temps are warming up.
Make sure the lawn is dry. Power rake 1st. Cleanup is bagging with 1st mowing. Charge 3x the mowing price plus disposal fees. Then hit it in a couple days with Preemergent and feed. In a couple of weeks you'l be proud of the results. If the customer quote is too pricey for them, recommend doing just the front lawn.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance1
Go for it. Do it as an early first mow as long as the temps are warming up.
Make sure the lawn is dry. Power rake 1st. Cleanup is bagging with 1st mowing. Charge 3x the mowing price plus disposal fees. Then hit it in a couple days with Preemergent and feed. In a couple of weeks you'l be proud of the results. If the customer quote is too pricey for them, recommend doing just the front lawn.
OK new term for me...power rake? And also if front only is suggested (wonderful idea IMO) just charge 1/2 of the 3x amount then?

Also when I see 'spring cleanup' and 'fall cleanup' it just means bagging the first and last cuts of the year? I am just trying to clarify so I do not mis-interpret. This is a great site! You guys are really helping me like you don't know! Thankyou again...
Old 03-02-2006, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Power rake = dethacher. As far as the front only price it depends on the size of it, what percentage of the total lawn. Charge what the front areas' percentage is plus a little more that way the whole lawn becomes a better deal for the customer and you maximize the sale. Cleanups mean everything in the beds and on the whole property. Give it curb appeal and change in line with the conditions encountered. You'll learn alot on your own after you get a couple of these cleanups under your belt! Technique and equipment selection will all become clear soon. Rent special equipment as needed to get a feel for it and work that in your price on top of what you need as an hourly rate. Always leave the property looking the best it can be. Only then can you do your best work and build your reputation. The rest will come over the season.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely do the best job possible. By all means. That is what I am being paid for. I understand about the front only now thanks very much.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just ordered the front dethatcher for my tractor today. Really nice, I should now be able to (in order) dethatch, mow and sweep all in one pass.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I p/u my dethatcher today! How do you guys charge for dethatching? By the entire job or hours?
Old 03-09-2006, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

lets see some pics of this dethatching monster!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

read mich states ohio states agronomic sites and learn how daamgeing dethatching can be. we talk 90% of our customers out of the service seeing as 90% of then dont need it then we talk them into 1 or 2 aerations a year they still save money and its 1/4 the work for me. dethatching can be detrimental to most lawns especially in a low rain year. we aerate a lawn in 10 minutes, dethatching takes an average of 40. get rid of too much thatch the grass will lose moisture and the ground. yo uwill ose organiv matter. RULE never dethatch id thaqtch layer is uner 1/2 inch unless molds funguses insects diseases are present, then dethatching is recommended as a prework before appplying herbicide fungicide or insecticide. for some reson customers think its a good thing , explain to then why its not , and sell then a service that can really use.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraft
read mich states ohio states agronomic sites and learn how daamgeing dethatching can be. we talk 90% of our customers out of the service seeing as 90% of then dont need it then we talk them into 1 or 2 aerations a year they still save money and its 1/4 the work for me. dethatching can be detrimental to most lawns especially in a low rain year. we aerate a lawn in 10 minutes, dethatching takes an average of 40. get rid of too much thatch the grass will lose moisture and the ground. yo uwill ose organiv matter. RULE never dethatch id thaqtch layer is uner 1/2 inch unless molds funguses insects diseases are present, then dethatching is recommended as a prework before appplying herbicide fungicide or insecticide. for some reson customers think its a good thing , explain to then why its not , and sell then a service that can really use.
Excellant advice! Thankyou!