Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2006, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What most are calling de-thatching is nothing but power raking some of the dead and weak grasses off the surface, it ain't de-thatching.Most customers don't even know what thatch is.Thatch is dead grass stems roots etc, on top of the soil.1/2 an inch of thatch or less is perfectly fine.If they want to know if their lawn has accumulated to much thatch ,use a soil probe and see how thick the thatch is.

Last edited by 6'7 330; 03-11-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

But still for the homes that DO need it, how do you charge for that service?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

3x the mowing price.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thankyou RS!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge 35$ 1000 square foot plus debree removel, 100$ mininum.Just a warning, Doing an improper job when dealing with a thatch layor , can tare the hell of a lawn.

We try to deal with the problem of thatch before action is necessary,providing and educating the customer with proper cultural methods.We put them on Proper fert program with core aeration, with the correct amount of plant nutrients, and not the chemlawn way of excessive amounts of nitrogen.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
I p/u my dethatcher today! How do you guys charge for dethatching? By the entire job or hours?
I have to ask why you would invest in a piece of equipment with out any idea how to charge or even if it is a good idea, and therefore no idea what the ROI will be.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with ya 6'7 on the beating the hell out of the turf if done improperly. It' s all in the depth of the blade setting on a power rake. I've done lots of lawns in my area for the past couple springs. And if you set the depth corrrectly you still remove tons of thatch but never all of it. Last year we had a major drought in our area and the lawns i manage looked great, so there was no moisture loss do to removing MOST but not all of the thatch.I agree that core aeration is easier, quicker(and that makes it more profitable) and maybe better for the lawn under some circumstances. But when it is a hot seller in your area there is no reason to talk someone out of doing such a thing. I also sell the aeration to them, but schedule that to be done in the fall, some experts will tell you that by core aerating in the spring you are opening up holes for the weeds to pop up in, thus doing in the fall once germination period for the weeds are done allows the lawn all winter and spring to recouperate. So there is possible pitfalls with both if done inncorrectly. I run an early spring special, $100 for lawns under 10 k sq ft, that include hauling away the debris. I run a snapper power rake on the lawn, then mow and bag with my ex-mark, for an additional 50 i fertilize it also. But most are already signed up with my five app program. Hey...works for me. Good luck on your endever!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLAWN
I have to ask why you would invest in a piece of equipment with out any idea how to charge or even if it is a good idea, and therefore no idea what the ROI will be.
This equipment (ALL of it) is also used for my own property and I do not charge myself...
Old 03-12-2006, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraft
read mich states ohio states agronomic sites and learn how daamgeing dethatching can be. we talk 90% of our customers out of the service seeing as 90% of then dont need it then we talk them into 1 or 2 aerations a year they still save money and its 1/4 the work for me. dethatching can be detrimental to most lawns especially in a low rain year. we aerate a lawn in 10 minutes, dethatching takes an average of 40. get rid of too much thatch the grass will lose moisture and the ground. yo uwill ose organiv matter. RULE never dethatch id thaqtch layer is uner 1/2 inch unless molds funguses insects diseases are present, then dethatching is recommended as a prework before appplying herbicide fungicide or insecticide. for some reson customers think its a good thing , explain to then why its not , and sell then a service that can really use.
I gave up trying to talk people out of it a few years ago, they just wanted it and didn't care that aerations we're better and cheaper. I got a bluebird and do a lot every year. If people ask me whats better between the two I tell them to plug. If they want both I do both. If they don't ask I happily do the power rake. For some reason they think the need it
Old 03-12-2006, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

would it be a good idea to always back the clippings.