Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2013, 05:24 AM

Diesel is still way up there at $3.55+ per gallon. I think it is time for some big company to mass produce clean running Bio diesel. The price of this Diesel is really putting a drag on the economy. What we need is Kentucky fried chicken Diesel. Put the pumps at the end of the drive through. Make use of all that grease.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Richard Martin;4879742]It's a name given to it by the original founders.

“Poughkeepsie” derives its name from a spring where Indians once gathered to weave lodges from the cattail reeds. These Native Americans called their meeting place “Uppuqui” (oo-poo-kee) meaning “lodge-covered”, plus “ipis” meaning “little water”, plus “ing” meaning “place”, all of which translated to “the reed-covered lodge by the little water place”, or “Uppuqui-ipis-ing”. This later evolved into “Apokeepsing”, then into “Poughkeepsing” and finally, “Poughkeepsie”.

http://www.townofpoughkeepsie.com/

Well I just learned something, thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's a name given to it by the original founders.

“Poughkeepsie” derives its name from a spring where Indians once gathered to weave lodges from the cattail reeds. These Native Americans called their meeting place “Uppuqui” (oo-poo-kee) meaning “lodge-covered”, plus “ipis” meaning “little water”, plus “ing” meaning “place”, all of which translated to “the reed-covered lodge by the little water place”, or “Uppuqui-ipis-ing”. This later evolved into “Apokeepsing”, then into “Poughkeepsing” and finally, “Poughkeepsie”.

http://www.townofpoughkeepsie.com/

Poughkeepsie is a place that most people on the East Coast have heard of, but they're not sure why. I think there was a famous person that lived there or something along those lines.

That's some good info there. I think a famous person did live in Poughkeepsie area or around. You may have heard of Vanderbilt Mansion. FDR's house and estate is still standing and there. I actually do some work at a very old apt building that was known to be his office area before it was turned into housing. Rick Okasek from the cars lives in I beliee millbrook about 10 minutes away from PK.
And this is a funny one but it was heard that Michael Jackson had a huge place on a road right near me right around he border of Poughkeepsie and pleasant valley. I have been to he driveway but not up it. Cameras are seen in the rock walls at the beginning of the driveway. Cannot see the house its way way back there. I was always so tempted to go up it ha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check it out on Google Earth.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Check it out on Google Earth.
A few times i have but i wanna see it in person. It' a pretty good chunk of land and a nice big pool in the back. Who owns it and lives there now i don't know. Maybe a family member.

Saw somewhere today for $3.73! Dropping verrrry slowly. But it's dropping. All i care about.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gas went under $3 here today and diseal was only 46cents higher.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Price of NO ETHOL

In Al. this gas is $3.29 .. ONLY type to use, Car, Truck, Mower Etc.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Diesel is still way up there at $3.55+ per gallon. I think it is time for some big company to mass produce clean running Bio diesel. The price of this Diesel is really putting a drag on the economy. What we need is Kentucky fried chicken Diesel. Put the pumps at the end of the drive through. Make use of all that grease.
Many trucking companies moving to cheaper alternative like natural gas. Local little guys going propane.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

gas here is $3.85... Diesel is $4.00 plus
Old 11-03-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Many trucking companies moving to cheaper alternative like natural gas. Local little guys going propane.
I read where UPS has already converted many of their trucks to NG. Large Fleets can recover their conversion cost in 2 or 3 years