Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2006, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Debris burning and air filters.. (and labor charges)

I'm figuring that working around slash burn piles (100 - 200 yd) is not too great on air filters, or engines (not too good on lungs either...) I usually try to work 'upwind' but not always possible. The cab got to Zero visibliity today with shifting winds

Are there some foam filter covers or such that would help?

How about charges for these services (~50% machine and 50% hand work)

I figured it would be $250 - $400 for such a pile, but my client has bunches of piles, so I think they are suffering 'sticker shock'. (I've also ground 60+ stumps, (100 remaining) and built 200' of rock wall, tho originally just came to grade a pad for shop 100x50' ($500))

They got ~ 1/3rd of a pile burnt in a long weekend, tending it at night. It takes me ~ 1 day to do 2 piles, if they are close enough to work simultaneously. The piles have been sitting for 1.5 yrs, so very wet and full of dirt. (and bath-tub sized rocks), Need to be pulled apart to burn very well.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to build my own house and have dug the foundation, which the hole is 65' x 65' and I foolishly dumped all of the trees, stumps, etc into th ehole thinking it would make an excellent burn pit. That was until the fire marshall came and rained on my parade. Now I plan on spending upwards of a week chipping what I can and hauling the rest off (the stumps I am just going to bury on the back of the property). I would love to hear from others that are doing burns with the air recirculator or whatever the hell it is called...which is what the fire marshall suggested. Unfortunately, if you don't use one of those, you can not open burn anything over 4" in diameter AND we can only burn from 4pm till midnight. Where can you get "burning equipment" and how many millions does it cost?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys sure have strict rules on burning in my area we can burn any size pile some piles are as tall as a 20-50 ton excavator can reach.

Its the only way to get rid of tree stumps and brush a chipper can't handle 3 ton stumps and it can't handle 30" plus diameter trees. Anything that is marketable to cut into lumber is sold to sawmills.

For us to bring in a chipper your looking at big money it could cost you quite a few grand.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let alone getting a chipper into some of the sites you guys work in.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

If the site isn't big enough to burn on then the contractor usually hauls the debris to their yard and burn it. When you take out a few trees you can fill up quite a few 40 yard rolloff bins.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have just finished clearing, screening and levelling a house site that did not yet have water connected. We have been at 100 deg F+ for 4 of the 5 days past. The dust was so bad I couldn't see the dump body of the truck when it was 6" in front of me. I had to do the air filters every hour or the machine just started chewing through the fuel. I hit 50 hours (from brand new) and did an oil change with new air filters. The A/C filter blocked about every 1/2 hour. The filter/oil change cost me $200 AUD - for working in severe service conditions...do you think the client will understand?

You sure could see that dust biscuit hovering above the machine. Wet cleaned the radiator every day...just red mud running out. No overheating though which was good considering a lot of grass and a Hi-Flow machine in the heat. I'd stay away from foam wrap on filters. In severe conditions they just block up rapido and starve the machine. The only solution would be a larger surface area on the filter. Apart from that..stop and blow them out..cost 30 minutes in a day...which is better than screwing your engine. How about a snorkel??

Lady: You Sir are Drunk!
Winston Churchill: Yes Ma'am but you are ugly, and tomorrow I will be Sober.

Sarcasm may be the lowest form of humour....but it sure is fun!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Too hot for me I would be out there with a lawn sprinkler trying to wet the ground down its what we do here to cut down the dust.