Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

grasshopper 227

i have a chance to purchase a grasshopper 227 with 23 horse engine and 60" cut and it has 742 hours on it .it comes from the dealer where the former owner tyraded it in for a new one . fires right up , hydraulics are tight , barely any visable wear , 1 or 2 dime sized rust spots on the deck only ,when pto in engaged there is no rattling of spindles or anything .so whats it worth ?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A 227 Has The 27 Horse Kohler.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Docter
A 227 Has The 27 Horse Kohler.
you may be right , i just went to look at it today for the first time ,my mistake.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What is the dealer asking for it?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman
What is the dealer asking for it?
3500.00 bucks
Old 03-02-2006, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What year model,for what it's worth used mowers to me are buyer beware unless you know the mower new here 8k or less 2006 model and rops made the price go up 300 bucks,with no warranty this is an opinion 4 k.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Docter
What year model,for what it's worth used mowers to me are buyer beware unless you know the mower new here 8k or less 2006 model and rops made the price go up 300 bucks,with no warranty this is an opinion 4 k.
you know i forgot to ask dang.... i will assume for the shape it is in prob an '04
Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That is a bargain if it appears to have been well cared for. I am a Grasshopper dealer, and if that mower was close by, I would grab it, and resell it for more than that. The 27HP kohler has proven to be a troublefree engine and should easily go 2000hrs. without problems if routine maint. is performed as required.
Test drive the mower. Engage the clutch several times. Look for sign of oil leaks on the 2 hydro pumps. There should be none, or at least just a bare minimum, not goobs of oily dirt build up. Ease the mower up against a tree, or a beam in the dealers shop, and see if it will spin both tires. It should with no problem. Look at the tension idler pulley on the belt at the rear, that runs the hydro pumps. Make sure it does not wobble, and that the bearings in that idler are good. That is a common wear point. Check the front wheel bearings. That is a wear point, but bearings are easy to change, and very inexpensive. See if those wheel bearings have been greased.
When you engage the blades, listen for any "rumble" sound in the blade spindles. That can indicate a rough bearing. Those bearings are also cheap, and easy to change out. Check the oil to see if it appears to have been changed lately. If it is black, and thick with sludge, that would be a sign of poor maint.
If the mower appears well cared for, those hours are not high. Usually a dealer will not want to sell you a bad machine, as he wants your repeat business. The price is GREAT, really a bargain. Just look it over good.
Let us know if you buy it.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had two Mid mount Grasshoppers in the last two years, I think the 04 model was a 225 (25 hp) and the 05 and 06 are the 27 hp. With the low hours and seems to be tight, that is a great price. I think the 06 came with the ROPS, I don't know it the 05 did. The hydraulics are weak on the return side, the high pressure lines do not usually leak. Both of mine were leaking within the first 250 hours. For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it's been taken care of.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i personaly know the sales man he said the former owner had it serviced there .actualy he traded in 2 midmounts and 1 front mount.