Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2006, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

cub ztr home owner model not for commercial use

I have a familly member looking into the cub cadet at HD. He will not be using this for a business just the once a week mow at his house. He cant spend 7000 on a comm ztr, any one know how these things hold up for a regular homeowner, I told him i didnt know anyone who uses them. Thanks
Old 03-04-2006, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have one but my mechanic has three brand new ones at the shop for warranty work. Know he is not too fond of them. In that price range Think I would look at the Hustler from a regular dealer with a service department.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our very first ZTR was that of a homeowner quality. It was a Gravely ZT1844. We bought it as we did not want to spend the big $ right away. We ran it hard for 2 years which is what I planned for its payback. I think that it ended up having around 450 hours on it when we sold it to a private buyer.We had a lot of probs. with it from electrical, to hydro pumps. to the front openings where the steering levers go thru were all wore out. It also had terrible hill holding capability. Now your question would it hold up under normal conditions? Just based on my problems with I think low hours, I would look them over carefully. But if I would of ran it normal, maybe these things would have not happened. But I did push that little mower and it did give me 2 years commercial mowing. I think that I paid $3450.00 new and sold it for $1650.00 I just thought that I would share this with you.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

For 7K he should be able to get a lot of different commercial mowers, I recently purchased a 72" tank for $7400, it is a new 2005, but there you go.

I looked at a ferris yesterday 2003 3000is with a 60" deck for 6800. New!

The bottom of the line cub commercial the 50khs or something goes for just over 5K as does the Hustler home owner machine which is nice. There is a new cub model this year that I have seen listed at $5699 that is the homeowner model with a frame and it has a 60" deck, it looks like a good machine but has the integrated wheel pumps and motors. It should be good for less than 3 acres I would think.

There is also a snapper model with a 48" deck that is going for 5099 around here. It is a true comercial machine but has a 19hp motor.

And if none of those suite him, lesco has the exact same unit as the cub for less than 7K (60") and Envy has one, and it was one of the reasons that I chose what I did.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure about the cub cadet HO models. However, my father-in-law has a Huskivarna HO model with an out in front mulching deck and he really like it. Only had one problem with it, and that was from bad gas. Cost was around 3k.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

todd...

He said he CANT spend 7k
Old 03-04-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I own a mower sales and service shop. I do not sell cub Cadet, but I work on a lot of their ZTR's. These are the ones sold at Tractor Supply, Loeas, HD, and so forth. They are absolute trash. DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look at other brands. I am not going to say what I sell, but any of the major,namebrand, homeowner quality ZTR's are better than those Cub Cadets.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys i will see what else i can come up with for him it was just an idea he had when he saw it he thought it looked cool i told him everything was probly good as far as engine and frame for what he will use it for but i didnt think the hydros were very good and for 3000 bucks thats taking a big chance on those hydros.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just brought home a brand new 42" Hustler MiniFasTrak with the Honda motor for just under 4k. I don't know what your budget is but at least have a look at them before ruling them out. Lifetime warranty on the frame and I think 3ys on everything else.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've heard the Fasttracs are great. I do have a neighbor with a Cub he bought at Tractor Supply for $2500 and he loves it.