Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gas Cans

What size gas cans do you carry on the trailer?

I have four 5 gallon gas cans for the ZTR mowers and two 2.5 gallon gas cans for the oil/gas mix. I'm thinking about using 5 gallon gas cans for the handheld equipment this year. I'm tired of having to mix gas/oil every day. Anyone else using 5 gallon cans for handheld equipment?
Old 03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We do it the same way... straight gas 5 gal, mixed 2.5 gal. less chance for the BDI (brain dead idiot) employees to f-stuff up that way. WE do also carry mixed oil & the crew chiefs are responsible for any field mixing 2.5 gal/bottle for redmax 50:1.

BTW, anyone know where to locate 2.5 gal cans anymore?? most have now gone to 2 gals.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdude
BTW, anyone know where to locate 2.5 gal cans anymore?? most have now gone to 2 gals.

That's another reason I want to go with 5 gallon gas cans for the handheld equipment. It's hard to find a 2.5 gallon can anymore.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have trouble finding cans that are NOT ventless. I hate those newer ones...Splashing gas everywhere.

Northern Tool and Equipment has 2.5 gal cans, AND the kind with the vent. Ive got 6 5 gallon but Im going to get some more incase they quit making the vented kind all together.
Greensboro NC
Old 03-05-2006, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass-scapes
I have trouble finding cans that are NOT ventless. I hate those newer ones...Splashing gas everywhere.

Northern Tool and Equipment has 2.5 gal cans, AND the kind with the vent. Ive got 6 5 gallon but Im going to get some more incase they quit making the vented kind all together.

Lowes has vented 5 gallon cans, I just picked up one for diesel last week. I think it was around $6.
I use 2.5 gallon cans for handheld, I would think the 5 gallon for handheld would just spill all over the place when full.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All of our gas mowers & diesel trucks are filled up at the shop before they leave. The ONLY gas cans we have on the trucks are 2-cycle....that way no mistakes can be made

Saves time also..no gas station trips ever! diesel & gas delivered & put into our tanks bi-weekly.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If You Want To Switch To 5gal Cans But Are Affraid That Someone May Mistake The Straight Gas With The Mixed Gas. I Believe Home Depot And Lowes Sell Blue Water Cans That Look Just Like The Red Gas Cans. Unless They Are Color Blind. There Will Be No Mistaking The Different Gases.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
If You Want To Switch To 5gal Cans But Are Affraid That Someone May Mistake The Straight Gas With The Mixed Gas. I Believe Home Depot And Lowes Sell Blue Water Cans That Look Just Like The Red Gas Cans. Unless They Are Color Blind. There Will Be No Mistaking The Different Gases.
I may be wrong but I thought blue cans referenced kerosene.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone used the "new and improved" self venting cans from home depot? What a POS those are. I just bought a 5 gal and it is the biggest chunk of sh!t I have ever had to use. Thinking about putting on a vent in the handle and drilling out the stuff in the filler neck. Anyone done this?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use 5 gal for both. They can't mess it up. Well I guess they could. On the can itself it says the word "MIX" on all sides of it. We have not had a problem yet, and it sure helps in cutting down on trips to the gas station for mix gas.