Register free!

Old 04-11-2000, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

hey guys and gals,<br>I was wondering if any of you young inventors and experienced people know what I can do to treat large areas of lawn without purchasing a large tank sprayer? I don't want to put up this larger initial investment this year but, I do have one client that wants me to roundup about an acre to acre and a half. What can I use, if anything that will be effective and not take me four hours? Another question would be how can I apply my post emergents? Would a granular be fine? Does it work as well? I think lesco sales a granular with momentum on it. Will this do the trick? I plan on developing a better more efficient spraying system next year but I don't want to buy something expensive this year. What are your thoughts on these topics?<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 04-11-2000, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use granular for broadleaf weed control.<p>For broadleaf: Use a M60 Spray Kit from Perma-Green (www.ride-onspreader.com) for 350.00. Works great for fertilizing and spraying broadleafs at the same time, or each independently.<p>For Round-Up: Since you won't be treating 65M of Round-Up often, I would back-pack this area.<br>
Old 04-11-2000, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

hose end sprayerby orthro $15
Old 04-11-2000, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a backpack sprayer and if using the customers hose to refill is out of the question use a 55 gallon Rubbermaid trash can as your water source. Rinse it out well before you leave home and then fill it half full. Use a 2 liter bottle or milk jug to refill your sprayer. This is what I do when I am spraying several homes in one day.
Old 04-11-2000, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have lots of sprayers, I never use two different chemicals in the same sprayer no matter how good a job you do cleaning you might still have some residue left behind. Get a back pack sprayer for the round up and another one for broad leaf control. I also have a 30 gal sprayer with 10' booms that I made to fit on my Walker that I use for broad leaf control.
Old 04-12-2000, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know what you consider a big investment. I purchased a boom sprayer I can pull behind my mower. 25 gal tank, 12 V pump, 3 nozzle boom, $250. Made by Brinly Hardy. I thought it was pretty cheap. Time=money.<br><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>
Old 04-13-2000, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys,<br>Hey Lazer, does the spray kit really work well? What are your experiences with it?<p>I can't get a boom sprayer because I don't have a riding mower right now.<p>Would it really work to use ortho hose end spray kit? Attach the thing directly to the hose and put in the amount of Roundup you need then go at it?<p>TIA<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 04-13-2000, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used a hose end sprayer with Round-up to kill off my yard and around 1000 feet of fence row brambles. Worked pretty good.<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>
Old 04-13-2000, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The M60 Spray Kit attaches to any square hopper spreader allowing you to spray weeds as the same time you're fertilizing.<p>I absolutely love 'em and would not make broadleaf hericide treatments without them.
Old 04-13-2000, 07:14 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Matt wrote:<p>&gt;I can't get a boom sprayer because I don't have a riding mower right now.<p>Buy a 15 gal 12vt sprayer from Northern tool<br>mount it to a some plywood then mount it<br>to whatever you got. Add a y valve and make your own boom from pvc.<p>