Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2006, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Problems with manufactures

I have been trying for over a month to obtain information from a manufacture so I could consider using/distributing thier product line. They seemed more than willing to work with me at first. I asked for samples to review and check out thier product and was told I would have some sent at no obligation to me.

When I finally put together a list of 6 different fixtures I would like to see I got the run around about seeing them. I was told I would have to pay and I reluctantly agreed to the charges. 3 weeks later... no email, no product and no fax. I cant bring myself to purchase 500 or 1000 dollars worth of unknown quailty products without being able to check em out first. Just had some bad experiences with that.

Alot of maufactures I have called or delt with have been super about getting me info and setting me up with a chance to see thier product.
I cant even get papers on info for thier specs from this guy!

Now today I got an email saying this... mind you I was only trying to obtain samples for evaluation like I do with ANY product I am going to leave at a customers house.Please keep in mind I inquired about 6 products.

"Bill
Thank you for your interest in our product. Please understand that we are very busy and we do not have the accounting established to collect or follow orders such as the one you placed for two pieces. Both the companies you are dealing with produce good merchandise but expensive, I suggest that you continue with them. At this time we cannot handle your business."

WOW. A manufacture who doesnt actually wish to move thier product after they keep saying how happy they are to help members of this forum. It's ok tho. A certain solid bronze fixture manufacture is more than happy to have my business and I wont need tylenol when I deal with them!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Screw that guy take your business elseware..you can bet I won't buy from someone who treats their customers in such a way!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Sponsor

Billy,

In my opinion, you're wasting your time shopping around. Choose a manufacturer that will provide a solid set of professional tools, with good support and spend your time planning and launching your marketing effort.

I think many contractors would do well with less shopping and more selling.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't mean to sound condescending and don't take this the wrong way and have me shown the exit because of it. You are talking like 500-1,000 dollars is a big order. Frankly they probably weren't interested in you because your orders would be too small. Good , bad or indifferent money taklks and bull spit walks. Again don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message but this is what it sounds like.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All he wants is some samples to check out.So what's the big deal in providing some for him?..how does that guy know how big his jobs may be in the future?
He might have huge jobs waiting in the wings but won't sell that companys product without some samples.Any good company knows small biz builds large biz.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree sheshovel.
No one on the other end of the phone should ever assume what type of buyer you are or might be. Ever heard stories of shabby dressed people who walked into car lots asking questions and were treated badly only to go down the street make a deal and pull out a wad of cash to pay?
I have even called some lighting distributors and manufacturers asking questions about literature and got the impression it was troublesome for them to help me. They wont get called back by me. Its all about customer service these days....and it should be.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

So what you are saying is that every manufacturer should send out free samples to whomever requests them whether the requestor's are qualified or not based upon their word. I guess that would go for any one time purchaser as well, such as a homeowner. Have you ever been a vendor at a trade show. 98% of the people who grab your brochure will never buy from you. Can you imagine how costly it can get to send free samples to everyone. The OP seemed to believe he was entitled. I disagree. If you review earlier posts the OP stated that he was doing his very first job. Hardly a high volume purchaser by any ones estimation.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well hot shot kid....he was willing to pay for the samples..now whats the problem?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

It is there right to do business with whomever they please. There seems to be an implication that the company in question was somehow tied to this message bd. We don't hear the other part of the story but it's an issue between those 2 parties and shouldn't have been posted here.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotShotKid
So what you are saying is that every manufacturer should send out free samples to whomever requests them whether the requestor's are qualified or not based upon their word. I guess that would go for any one time purchaser as well, such as a homeowner. Have you ever been a vendor at a trade show. 98% of the people who grab your brochure will never buy from you. Can you imagine how costly it can get to send free samples to everyone. The OP seemed to believe he was entitled. I disagree. If you review earlier posts the OP stated that he was doing his very first job. Hardly a high volume purchaser by any ones estimation.
I never asked for free. I did state in as email with them I was unhappy with paying for samples after I was told I would be sent stuff to review Your assuming they are tied to this message board. Something is fishy about everything you post anyways. I was mearly stating my experience with this company.

I have no problem with the minmum orders at all and usually I stock a good amount of consumable items or items Im likley to use alot. I just dont see a problem with letting me buy some samples before I fill my shop with this product line. Its not about the 500 to 1000 dollar orders. I dont care if its 2000. I just want to know what im getting for my money first. Why is that so wrong. Mind you I have NEVER paid for samples. A manufacture always worked with me to either provide me a distributor close to me or at least sent me catalogs. Im not asking them for anything ever again if they want me to see thier stuff I will have it in my office to review

I definatly dont need to justify myself to hotshot because I know who he is now.