Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Control Systems

I have read about various types of control systems. What are most of you guys installing on your residential projects. At first I thought it would be mainly controlled via a photo cell, but is there a need for clients to be able to switch individual segments or groups. If there is this need, how does it work with transformer that is mounted far from the house???? Relays???

Thanks
Adam
Old 03-07-2006, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Adam, some of the manufacturers are supporting X10.
http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html
When speaking to representatives about X10, they have revealed minor glitches and system anomalies, but if the system is designed and installed properly can give you automated or remote control.

Other than that, photo cells and timers and even multiple transformers for more control. So far no manufacturer is splitting the transformers for individual control on separate runs that I have yet seen.

Kirk
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would be happy if someone would finally come out with a digital astronomic timer that fits in a transfomer case and will hold up outdoors.

Sam IV
Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams To Designs
Adam, some of the manufacturers are supporting X10.
http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html
When speaking to representatives about X10, they have revealed minor glitches and system anomalies, but if the system is designed and installed properly can give you automated or remote control.

Other than that, photo cells and timers and even multiple transformers for more control. So far no manufacturer is splitting the transformers for individual control on separate runs that I have yet seen.

Kirk
Kirk, Kichler does have a split transformer. It is actually two separate 300 watt transformers in one box. It is the 15PRD600. You can install two different controllers for this unit. I am actually installing my first one tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-08-2006, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So am I to assume that most residential projects work on a photo cell.

I am just getting started, but from what I can see most of the transformers are located in an obscured place that can be a good distance from the house. Lets say that it is in or behind a pool shed 100' from the house, what if an remote control are you guys giving the clients from the house.

Adam
Old 03-08-2006, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most clients prefer that the system work by itself. If you put the system on a photo control with a timer, it will come on when the sun goes down and then will turn off at a predetermined time. When I do have a client that wants some control, (I have only had a few) I will accomodate them either with switching or remote. Nightscaping also has a product called the dominator that can run several zones.

NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
Old 03-08-2006, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Paul, that makes sense, it was only a matter of time before someone filled the need. There are occasions when I would like certain zones on dusk till dawn and others from dusk till midnight. Let us know how that goes and if they have other variations on the wattages.

Adam, a photocell and/or a timer. The photocell never needs to be reset and is usually trouble free. Most manufacturers offer a transformer mount or a cable remote mount for the photocell depending on mounting location. Often clients don't want all the lights on all night, sometimes they may illuminate outside bedroom windows or they just don't want to have lights on all night, that's where the timer comes in. If coupled with a photocell, the lights always come on when it gets dark and the timer shuts them off at the predetermined time.

Kirk
Old 03-08-2006, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, they have been helpful.

Where do you find yourselves mounting the transformers most often. Is it worth while putting them in a shed or garage if possible, or are the just fine outdoors (providing that they are meant for that).

So far I have looked at Cast, Kichler and Vista for products, I ma waiting on prices....

Adam
Old 03-08-2006, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater
Thanks for the replies, they have been helpful.

Where do you find yourselves mounting the transformers most often. Is it worth while putting them in a shed or garage if possible, or are the just fine outdoors (providing that they are meant for that).

So far I have looked at Cast, Kichler and Vista for products, I ma waiting on prices....

Adam
I mostly mount mine on the side of the home. If it is new construction, I can have the outlet placed right where I want it. Most professional transformers are made for indoor/outdoor use. I only use stainless steel transformers for use outside.

NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
Old 03-08-2006, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Paul on that one. Have on occasion used an outlet that was out front and screened the transformer with plants because client didn't want to pay an electrician to install an additional GFI outlet, but prefer the side.

Go with the dealer that is going to service you best and the best product. Price is not the real issue, quality and service are. I use Cast, Kichler and Focus normally, but there are other good brands out there and local dealers to get them.

Kirk