Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-07-2006, 02:58 PM
PGA's Avatar
PGA PGA is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 710
Protective Clothing and Equipment?

What do you guys do if the label of something you are applying doesnt tell you what to use?

Is there a standard or norm for what you will wear and use?


I ask because this is my first year doing apps. Ive scoured the lable of the Dimension 19-0-6 .010% and I see nothing.

Are rubber boots and gloves enough?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
somo1's Avatar
somo1 somo1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sw Missouri
Posts: 152
Anytime that I spray a liquid I use a minimum of long sleeve shirt, rubber gloves, rubber boots and eye protection. Unless the label states that a respiratory mask is required, than I use one. Look up the label and MSDS sheets on the web and read those, they will be the most updated.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-2006, 04:13 PM
PGA's Avatar
PGA PGA is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by somo1
Anytime that I spray a liquid I use a minimum of long sleeve shirt, rubber gloves, rubber boots and eye protection. Unless the label states that a respiratory mask is required, than I use one. Look up the label and MSDS sheets on the web and read those, they will be the most updated.





If its granular?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-2006, 05:31 PM
somo1's Avatar
somo1 somo1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sw Missouri
Posts: 152
I always wear long-sleeve anyway, just in case I have to spot spray for weeds. If it is granular I only wear gloves if it has a chemical besides fert. to contaminate my skin. I know that gloves can be hot and sweaty so I carry several pairs to dry when wet inside. Or I use disposable gloves, they're cheap and just throw them away. I use Cintas to wash all my uniforms, It only cost about $5/wk per person. This saves me from contaminating my other clothes and my family by not taking them home.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-07-2006, 06:12 PM
PGA's Avatar
PGA PGA is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by somo1
I always wear long-sleeve anyway, just in case I have to spot spray for weeds. If it is granular I only wear gloves if it has a chemical besides fert. to contaminate my skin. I know that gloves can be hot and sweaty so I carry several pairs to dry when wet inside. Or I use disposable gloves, they're cheap and just throw them away. I use Cintas to wash all my uniforms, It only cost about $5/wk per person. This saves me from contaminating my other clothes and my family by not taking them home.




Thanks somo!

Is it ok to wash them alone? Will it leave a residual in the washer that can transfer?

Or should I just hook up a seperate washer to do my clothes? Im solo and I only do about 20 houses so I dont have uniforms or any of that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
olive123 olive123 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ft lauderdale, Fl
Posts: 497
use a paper mask if spreading somtimes the dust from the fert gets out in front of you and you are breathing it in.
long pants and shoes (rubber boots)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-2006, 06:22 PM
somo1's Avatar
somo1 somo1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sw Missouri
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA
Thanks somo!

Is it ok to wash them alone? Will it leave a residual in the washer that can transfer?

Or should I just hook up a seperate washer to do my clothes? Im solo and I only do about 20 houses so I dont have uniforms or any of that.
It should be ok, since you're only treat a couple of days a month. Just make sure to wash seperately from other clothes. The same washing machine will do fine. I just use uniforms because we treat everyday and it makes it easier than taking these dirty clothes home to the wife. Plus it looks more professional, no torn clothes, faded t-shirts or employees saying they forgot to do the laundry.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 PM
PGA's Avatar
PGA PGA is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by somo1
It should be ok, since you're only treat a couple of days a month. Just make sure to wash seperately from other clothes. The same washing machine will do fine. I just use uniforms because we treat everyday and it makes it easier than taking these dirty clothes home to the wife. Plus it looks more professional, no torn clothes, faded t-shirts or employees saying they forgot to do the laundry.




Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Page generated in 0.10003 seconds with 7 queries