Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

iS IT US OR ARE PEOPLE GETTING CHEAP!

I Cant Stand The Cheapness Of People-trying To Explain That Gas Goes Up Every Year Etc.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As Bill Clinton would way " I feel your pain"

I had this guy who hired me on the premise that he wanted me because all his other landscapers did a crap job. So I get his lawn for $35 and he is very happy. Calls me up has me do a bunch of work and tells me how happy he is.

Last week I mulch and clean up his other house that he plans on selling. Calls me the other day and says that some other guy gave me a great price on mulch and a $25 price for his lawn. He said that he had to hire him for the price and that I am gone..... This is what I call a price shopper in disguise. How can any of us go down in price or match lowballers?

Roll Tide Roll
Old 03-07-2006, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think when landscapers use the gas prices going up for a reason for going up on a price of a lawn it's bad business!!! You need to explain to the customers that its the costs of everything including gas,insurance, maintenance, payroll,taxes, and your own living expense's.. Make them realize that every year they work they expect raises in their jobs to keep up with their expenses and were all in the same boat.. Most people will understand if you explain it to them correctly, they don't always realize that all the money does not go in our pockets!!! If you take the time to resell it to them they will buy..But on the other hand if your trying to go up $5 on a $30 lawn per year its not going to work!! Be reasonable and it will work and remember when someone charges you more for something you buy you do ask why and at least want a good answer..
Old 03-07-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

insurance is a good point to make. talk about how it went up agian even though you didn't have a claim.

this works well for a few reasons

1. you have insurance
2. no claims
3. every one knows how outragous insurance can be
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I like to use the "thanks, have a nice day, and good luck with the other person" approach... And it seems to work usually. If you show up at a potentials property and sell yourself, your work, and your company to them. In my experience 80% of the time you'll still get the job after they call your references. Regardless of your price. I don't feel it's necessary to explain to a client why my price is higher than the other guy. You can talk about fuel prices, insurance, overhead, etc... If they are price shopping for the lowest bidder and don't care about the quality of work, then that's the person they are going to choose and you don't want to work for someone like that anyway. Unless you make a good impression (remember, first impressions are the most important and a lot of people make the choice to hire you or not after your first meeting with them). Get them excited about the project while discussing what they want done. Have them even more excited about it and how it'll look when you submit your proposal. Give them a reason to remember you... And what you can and will do for them... Set yourself at a higher level than the low ballers. Why should I or any of you lower your prices or try to cut corners to play on the same field with the low ballers or jackie's that are out there for beer and cigarette money. Only you know how much it cost to run your business successfully. Personally I want to be on top. I want the people that call me for the first time to be impressed with what I can offer them. And to be impressed with the end result. I also want to be the first and only person they call when they are ready for something else. One day the low ballers will catch on. Or they'll be outta business. Forget about them and move on. They can only stay afloat so long in a boat they're shooting full of holes.
Walk with confidence, stand tall and proud, smile so you may be smiled upon. For we live in difficult and challenging times. It is up to us to make a difference for our future. Let your humanity, dignity, and kindness shine so bright, that no darkness can ever deny you...
Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

We tell em all that but people just dont OR cant

understand that coasts go up. Especially the old folks!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Err Thats Costs-go Up

SORRY guys
Old 03-09-2006, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah it is amazing how everything is going up all at one time but yet people think that our prices should always stay the same. I looked online at f-150 xlt and they have gone up to $30,000 of course you get rebates but i would have to say that they jumped a good $1500 and that is for a base xlt with tow package. It is unreal how everything is going up.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

people are cheap, get used to it...infact I'm sure at some point in time everyone of us has been cheap.

Its one thing to price shop when you are compairing apples to apples. IE a pound of granny smith at safeway VS a lbnof granny smith at giant.

Maybe the client does nto percieve a diffrence in the level of service you provide as opposed to the level of service he is being promised for the lower price.

I put sidingon my house I had bids from 8k to 30k. sorry but I was cheap, as I could not tell a difference in 30K worth of siding from 8k worth...

Also, what with the capitalization of the first letter of every word? I have been seeing that a lot recently.

You also might want to do a search for Fareway, I hope that people don't start confusing you with him...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I would definatly agree with a lot of the guys on here about the lowballers...The customer is going to get what they pay for.. I lowballed the lowballer last year just so I could get the account and get my name out there..The account was with a realty company and she owned a lot of rental property...Very known in my area...Well, if you all remember the gas prices jumping to over three dollars a gallon...well, I sent out Increase notices due to all my expense increase...not just the gas.....You all probably don't have to guess what happened....She took back the Low-lowballer....I had a lot of compliments on the job I was doing from the residents that lived there and they hoped that I would continue...Well, to make a long story short, he got the yards back and you can diffently tell the difference....His bad, mine good...Like other guys on here that will tell you...If their going to be that cheap, then you don't need them...Other work will come...One more thing I need to add or even ask...Living with a woman is hard enough, but working for them on realty accounts can put you in a padded cell....Has anyone else had this problem....The reason I'm saying this is because the realty company I used to have an account with was ran totally by women....Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and how they handled it...