Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2006, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Photos posted to show problems to win bids.

A few threads ago we were discussing bidding on lawn maintance and showing the customer problem areas that they may not have been aware of as a tool to win the bid.

We were also discussing the use of photos in this way, showing these areas, as well as the fix for the monthly report.

So I went out and took photos of the areas that I brought up to the pres of the home owners assoc, and I thought that I would share a few of them.

Here are examples.

I am not sure which ones are loading due to numbering rather than naming.

Some of the pix I took showed areas needing repared, others just cleaning.

Well, lets see what I upload here.

Tim
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

More fix it photos

Here are a few more fix it photos.

I will be submitting an estimate w/photos to fix these issues.

Tim
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

All it looks like to me is the ground settled or eroded a bit and or they had some washout. Some stone beds need to be replenished from time to time also. Are these fresh pics (I didn't notice any dates) or are these after winter when all or most places look like sh!t?

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 03-07-2006, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how would you fix them issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes they are fresh as in today photos.

Some need more rock. Some just need to be cleaned out.

There are a couple that have 6 inches on either side erroded away, and I would clean the edges up, put down new and wider geotextile and replentish the rock. I have not yet figured out how to keep the edges from doing the same thing in the future and would not do that work until I figure out what will prevent this.

Some areas need a new channel built because the water is cutting into the soil, and any fill will just wash out in one spring.

Any suggestions would also be helpful along these lines. I am working on the solutions for the next couple of days.

Tim
Old 03-07-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well if it were me I would dig out all the rock and lay down some medium diameter drainage pipe and an adequate amount of drains.

Then bring in fill and sod the whole place.

Making mowing faster for you and clean up the place too.

Cuz to be honest that natural drainage ditch looks kinda tacky right there.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

whats goin on in the pics in not the contractors fault, esp. if he is doing what he is getting paid for. And if the client/HOA is happy with them why would they give you the job b/c of your pics. Also those are winter pics, and as we know EVERYthing looks like Sh8t in the winter lol.

Just think about it the guy who does it is just doing what he was contrascted to do and nothing more, Maybe thats all they want

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not an issue of the other contractors work. It is an errosion issue of which the maintenance people last year who only showed up twice the whole summer to work, did not inform the client of the present situations.

Of course the original contractor did his work correctly. I did not say to the client that the contractor did it wrong. Just that he has an issue that will get worse over time. Not better, not self correcting, but it is something that he will have to deal with, either sooner or later.

And yes they are winter pictures. The pictures have nothing to do with green grass. There is another issue that you did not mention, and that you obvisously were not aware of and that is there is a flock of geese taking the grass down to the ground. So the grass looks even worse than just being the fact that it is winter.

All I am saying here is; if there are issues you can use photos to show the client what you are talking about. If you are hired to fix them, and to maintain them, then you can show the client the same areas with the new photos.

Lets look at this another way. I live in WV, which is not the Wild and Wonderful state as it says on the license plates. It is the sue me state.

So, if you do the job, document it and protect yourself against some irronious litigation down the road. And don't think you won't get sued. In doing video production, ei, depositions, I have seen some of the most stupid stuff going to trial.

Tim
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tim I think you are going down the right path, looks like a good strategy to me. Just remember some people on here, and for that matter any contractor will just and throw guilt on your for this practice not because they are right, but because you are using a tactic that can potentially put you into one of their accounts. When people feel threatened, they fight and cry about it typically and that's what you man see ( I have too ). That's their hang up, not yours. If you are comfortable with it and start winning some jobs, your business will prosper.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wright
Its not an issue of the other contractors work. It is an errosion issue of which the maintenance people last year who only showed up twice the whole summer to work, did not inform the client of the present situations.

Of course the original contractor did his work correctly. I did not say to the client that the contractor did it wrong. Just that he has an issue that will get worse over time. Not better, not self correcting, but it is something that he will have to deal with, either sooner or later.

And yes they are winter pictures. The pictures have nothing to do with green grass. There is another issue that you did not mention, and that you obvisously were not aware of and that is there is a flock of geese taking the grass down to the ground. So the grass looks even worse than just being the fact that it is winter.

All I am saying here is; if there are issues you can use photos to show the client what you are talking about. If you are hired to fix them, and to maintain them, then you can show the client the same areas with the new photos.

Lets look at this another way. I live in WV, which is not the Wild and Wonderful state as it says on the license plates. It is the sue me state.

So, if you do the job, document it and protect yourself against some irronious litigation down the road. And don't think you won't get sued. In doing video production, ei, depositions, I have seen some of the most stupid stuff going to trial.

Tim
Do you live in this association??

Once this question is answered, I may or I may not have more questions.....