Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I see a real need for this and you can make $$$ being the 1st

Just as the title says, theres no one else making wheel chair ramps part of the landscape, Everyones seen the ramps that stick way out in the yds or go back and forth to eliminate the long length needed to gain access to the home or building.

So I'm working on some plans to build and incorporate wheelchair ramps into the landscape. No wants them to be seen or for others to know that a disabled person lives in the house, so the challenge is to disguise them into the landscaping while making them accessible and functional. The use of outdoor lighting is a great selling point. A water feature near a landing or turn on the ramp is also in the plans

Plus the populations getting older so theres more need for them along with the fact that hospitals are discharging sooner, and extended care living is out of reach for a lot of people. If done correctly they will become a great selling point and increase the value of a home being sold when a son or daughter has the responsibility of taking care of an aging parent.

Thought I would share, and would welcome opinions
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is a great idea..run with it Mac!I was thinking of titanium welded boxes that you could attach to the bike to carry your old greybeards ashes in..so he would always be in the wind
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
This is a great idea..run with it Mac!I was thinking of titanium welded boxes that you could attach to the bike to carry your old greybeards ashes in..so he would always be in the wind
She, my grey beard may be in the wind but its gonna be a long time before theres any ashes
Old 03-07-2006, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would agree my dad has alot of friends that are getting to that age. we usuallly bild 2-3 a year for these people. not as a buesness just as a neighborly thing to do, not really ornate just useful. most of the time these people don't live long enough to use the ramps more than a few times
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 03-07-2006, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea Mac.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

very good point i have to build 1 now its going to be 32 feet long what an eyesore
Old 03-07-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another double edged dilemna, though. It sucks that those who DO need wheelchairs are quite often the ones who don't have that kind of money to have something that elaborate. With the exceptions of a few who DO have the money, most who need them are on a fixed income beCAUSE of their disability. Just a thought....

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Another double edged dilemna, though. It sucks that those who DO need wheelchairs are quite often the ones who don't have that kind of money to have something that elaborate. With the exceptions of a few who DO have the money, most who need them are on a fixed income beCAUSE of their disability. Just a thought....
Joe, thought about that and theres an exception. Kids and parents don't want the gov. to get any inheritence money so they decide to move in. The wheel chair ramps are a legal way to spend the money EVEN if the person needing it ends up in a facility. If they end up in a facility the gov. will not count the cost associated with a ramp in the spend down process before medicare kicks in.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well THERE'S one view on it - with a positive spin. Inevetibly, there will ALWAYS be SOME sort of demand for it, so if you offer it, THAT is what will sell it.People don't THINK of those kinds of things, but when they see stuff like that, they say "Hey!". What would really be awesome, would be get hold of whatever local agency or organization that assists familiies out who have needs like this, and they could give some sort of reference to you out. Just a thought....

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mac, funny how you get laid up with your back over the winter and you start thinking about getting old people around

But I think you idea has merit.
Make a Mooresville edition. Nascar style, high bank corners off the front steps..
I like the pond idea, ramp around the pond and it will drop down as it circumnavigates the water. Remember to keep steps for the healthy to quickly get down.
Good luck with it.