Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2001, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, I need major help on a large bid. I just got my license and I have a large customer who wants pricing for a program.The property consists of about 5.25 acres of key turf.(attention areas) Last year the Japaneese beetles did a number on the Lindens that are on the property as well so Grub control is a must.
Heres what I had in mind:
1 application of 19-0-6 with dimension (granular)
1 application of slow release (granular)
1 application of fall fertilizer (granular)
1 application of merit (granular)
1 application of confront (liquid)
To me this seems to be a typical type five step. but of coarse I'm very new to the spraying side of the biz. I considered dividing up the first application of fert and spraying the dimension seperate, but our spring has been very late so I thought combining them made more since. My legs also agree.
So how much would you charge? I'm coming up with figures around $6500.00 for the whole program. Too much or too little? Please help ASAP.....
Old 04-24-2001, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What, where, how much?
Need more data.

Also, jap beetles could be coming in from neighbors or a golfcourse 4 miles away. You need to treat the turf for turf problems and the trees for tree problems. I see nothing in that regiment that will affect jap beetles feeding on Linden trees, unless you are planing to defoliate them with Confront.
One word of advice. Put out insect traps and time your applications accordingly, or you will throw away money and create more problems than you solve.

Good Luck,
Jim L
Old 04-25-2001, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well I was under the impresion that if I got the Japanesse beettle while in the grub stage that it would help the turf and the lindens. I am currently looking at injections for them when and if the beetles become a problem again. As to how large its 5.25 acers as mentioned. The aforementioned applications would cover that entire area for each product. With that in mind, hows my price sound????? Thanx for your help. Ps. if you know any other post control that works once the beetles start feeding,pleas inform.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lessee- 5.25 acres is about 215,000 square ft. at .6 per, your around 1200 per app, x 5 is 6 large. at 6500 you cover your bases and should have a decent profit. I dream of doing properties this big w/ a grasshopper drift free unit at 15'wide! better think about a self propelled spreader at least. dave
Old 04-26-2001, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx Dave,
Unfortunetely my legs will be the propulsion!
Old 04-26-2001, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While Japanese beetles are not graceful flyers they are avid flyers. Often feeding on gardens in the daytime and going into the trees at night. During high winds they can be carried miles, nevermind a few acres. Soil treatment will help only with the grubs. The adults will fly in from other areas and feed on the Lindens.

I would use Talstar to treat the trees for Japanese beetles. I have a quite a few Tillia that I care for and in addition to Japanese beetles they also tend to have problems with mites. Talstar is labled for both.

How many trees how high? Merit soil injection, if you were considering going this route, is generally not cost effective for trees over 10' to 15' in hight. What kind of sprayer are you useing for the trees, hydrolic or HVLP?

Anouther thing to consider is renting a selfpropelled spreader, arround here Lesco rents them for a reasonable rate. On a job that size it will more than make up for the minimal rental fee.

The granular apps. fees sound about right.

Good Luck,
Jim L

Jim L

[Edited by greens1 on 04-26-2001 at 04:07 PM]
Old 04-26-2001, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx a ton guys
Old 04-28-2001, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got the job yesterday!!! contract is all signed $6500.00.
I start this week with another add on to the program, 200 trees to deep root fertilize with arbor green, $1500.00 for that one. I just hope all goes well with this customer, hes a rare find. Not too bad for my first sign up for spraying either if I do say so myself. Seriously, could'nt have had the cofedence without your help.Thanx...
Old 05-16-2001, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

GRAZERZ:how are you making out with this job?i was flipping through past archives and held interest in your post.
:blob3:
Old 05-16-2001, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, thanx for asking. Just did my first step. Used fert with deminsion 10% from Cavendish (which is made by Lesco but cheaper, go figure).Next week I do trees first part of week and I'll be doing my broadleaf at the end of the week. I decided to go with Millinium ultra,which is a mix of Trimec and confront basically. Same as Lesco Momentum i'm told. I'm excited to get things rolling for my next step. We have been out straight at this account with the spring clean-up and the mowing contract as well. Too busy to look for other work actually. My goal is to make this one account look as nice as I can and use it as a drive by refrence for next year.