Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wb or stander

Would you say that a stander could replace a wb on all hills.. I'm thinking of trying one out because we picked up a commercial account with a lot of hills that are pretty long and steep. The problem is right now we run two ztrs and a wb on a trailer.. the two ztrs have to stay on the trailer but I'm wondering if the stander could handle all the inclines the wb can..Also can you drive them up a steep incline without them getting tippie... Any input would be great!!Also have they ever made a 48inch model because thats the size i think I would prefer and I would be looking for a used one.. thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG
Would you say that a stander could replace a wb on all hills.. I'm thinking of trying one out because we picked up a commercial account with a lot of hills that are pretty long and steep. The problem is right now we run two ztrs and a wb on a trailer.. the two ztrs have to stay on the trailer but I'm wondering if the stander could handle all the inclines the wb can..Also can you drive them up a steep incline without them getting tippie... Any input would be great!!Also have they ever made a 48inch model because thats the size i think I would prefer and I would be looking for a used one.. thanks

Demo one
Old 03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gamba
Demo one
There it is....
Old 03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Deere has a 48". It is the 647 Quik-Trak.
I doubt a stander could do EVERY incline that a WB could do, but it might be able to do every incline you need it to do.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've got experience with both the Wright Stander (52" and 61") and the Great Dane Super Surfer (52"). The Super Surfers will not hold a hill. The longer frame makes for some fun rides and difficult handling. The Stander, in my opinion, is in another league, all by itself.

The Wright comes in 48" deck width.

As far as handling every hill, I would guess, no. I think some hills are only able to be done with a walk-behind.

I've gone up a few hills that the front end will come up on the Wright, a little scary, but if you lean forward enough it should be a rare occurrence.

Like others have said, demo one, that is the only way you will know. No one on here can tell you for sure.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't we already have this discussion/argument a couple months ago??

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 03-08-2006, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we tried a stander-it sucked....buy a walk-behind, TRUST ME
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn_pro
we tried a stander-it sucked....buy a walk-behind, TRUST ME
Please be more specific...What sucked about it
Old 03-09-2006, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaK18
Please be more specific...What sucked about it
We tried a 36", impossible to keep the thing on any type of a hill, difficult to mow a straight line, none of us thought the cut was great, rear tires always went flat(probably just the machine we had, but it could have been the design of the machine w/the rider standing directly above the rear wheels), the controls were strange-they almost seemed backwards, to tell you the truth-it really wasn't that comfortable. One thing I did like was how compact the machine was, I see guys using them around town so I guess they like 'em, we mow a apartment complex that is right next door to another apartmet, the lco responsible uses standers, thier lines are all over the place, it makes us look real good.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn_pro
We tried a 36", impossible to keep the thing on any type of a hill, difficult to mow a straight line, none of us thought the cut was great, rear tires always went flat(probably just the machine we had, but it could have been the design of the machine w/the rider standing directly above the rear wheels), the controls were strange-they almost seemed backwards, to tell you the truth-it really wasn't that comfortable. One thing I did like was how compact the machine was, I see guys using them around town so I guess they like 'em, we mow a apartment complex that is right next door to another apartmet, the lco responsible uses standers, thier lines are all over the place, it makes us look real good.
I have noticed that until you get up into the 50 inches or so, nothing really holds a hill great if going side to side. The extra "reaching out" of a larger deck actually helps on hills (at least on Walker, Toro, and Hustler)