Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:16 PM
CAG CAG is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ct
Posts: 344
wb or stander

Would you say that a stander could replace a wb on all hills.. I'm thinking of trying one out because we picked up a commercial account with a lot of hills that are pretty long and steep. The problem is right now we run two ztrs and a wb on a trailer.. the two ztrs have to stay on the trailer but I'm wondering if the stander could handle all the inclines the wb can..Also can you drive them up a steep incline without them getting tippie... Any input would be great!!Also have they ever made a 48inch model because thats the size i think I would prefer and I would be looking for a used one.. thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 PM
John Gamba's Avatar
John Gamba John Gamba is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: ct
Posts: 10,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG
Would you say that a stander could replace a wb on all hills.. I'm thinking of trying one out because we picked up a commercial account with a lot of hills that are pretty long and steep. The problem is right now we run two ztrs and a wb on a trailer.. the two ztrs have to stay on the trailer but I'm wondering if the stander could handle all the inclines the wb can..Also can you drive them up a steep incline without them getting tippie... Any input would be great!!Also have they ever made a 48inch model because thats the size i think I would prefer and I would be looking for a used one.. thanks

Demo one
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
LawnGuy73's Avatar
LawnGuy73 LawnGuy73 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Scott County, Minnesota
Posts: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gamba
Demo one
There it is....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2006, 04:44 PM
rodneyskip rodneyskip is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: KY
Posts: 196
Deere has a 48". It is the 647 Quik-Trak.
I doubt a stander could do EVERY incline that a WB could do, but it might be able to do every incline you need it to do.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2006, 09:44 PM
jtkplc's Avatar
jtkplc jtkplc is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 2,648
I've got experience with both the Wright Stander (52" and 61") and the Great Dane Super Surfer (52"). The Super Surfers will not hold a hill. The longer frame makes for some fun rides and difficult handling. The Stander, in my opinion, is in another league, all by itself.

The Wright comes in 48" deck width.

As far as handling every hill, I would guess, no. I think some hills are only able to be done with a walk-behind.

I've gone up a few hills that the front end will come up on the Wright, a little scary, but if you lean forward enough it should be a rare occurrence.

Like others have said, demo one, that is the only way you will know. No one on here can tell you for sure.
__________________
No longer in the lawn care business.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2006, 10:45 PM
PaulJ's Avatar
PaulJ PaulJ is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Columbus, NE
Posts: 1,777
Didn't we already have this discussion/argument a couple months ago??
__________________

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2006, 11:23 PM
lawn_pro lawn_pro is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 284
we tried a stander-it sucked....buy a walk-behind, TRUST ME
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
ZaK18's Avatar
ZaK18 ZaK18 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX.
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn_pro
we tried a stander-it sucked....buy a walk-behind, TRUST ME
Please be more specific...What sucked about it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2006, 05:30 AM
lawn_pro lawn_pro is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaK18
Please be more specific...What sucked about it
We tried a 36", impossible to keep the thing on any type of a hill, difficult to mow a straight line, none of us thought the cut was great, rear tires always went flat(probably just the machine we had, but it could have been the design of the machine w/the rider standing directly above the rear wheels), the controls were strange-they almost seemed backwards, to tell you the truth-it really wasn't that comfortable. One thing I did like was how compact the machine was, I see guys using them around town so I guess they like 'em, we mow a apartment complex that is right next door to another apartmet, the lco responsible uses standers, thier lines are all over the place, it makes us look real good.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2006, 08:04 AM
David Grass David Grass is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn_pro
We tried a 36", impossible to keep the thing on any type of a hill, difficult to mow a straight line, none of us thought the cut was great, rear tires always went flat(probably just the machine we had, but it could have been the design of the machine w/the rider standing directly above the rear wheels), the controls were strange-they almost seemed backwards, to tell you the truth-it really wasn't that comfortable. One thing I did like was how compact the machine was, I see guys using them around town so I guess they like 'em, we mow a apartment complex that is right next door to another apartmet, the lco responsible uses standers, thier lines are all over the place, it makes us look real good.
I have noticed that until you get up into the 50 inches or so, nothing really holds a hill great if going side to side. The extra "reaching out" of a larger deck actually helps on hills (at least on Walker, Toro, and Hustler)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.10796 seconds with 7 queries