Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2006, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

how to find a good hire?

im trying to hire some mexicans. i have hired white guys in the past but was dissapointed and kept firing them. i put up flyers in the income apartments where 80 of them live in one building. i get calls from them but i cant understand what the hell there saying.i try talking to them about pay, drivers lic, hours, ss card, how that kind of stuff and they answer yes to everything even if its not a yes or no question. how do u deal with these people? i dont want to put an ad in the newspaper, they charge 600.00 for 10 days.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Tough Hiring People

I am in the Pennsylvania and we have all nationalities here, just as everywhere else in the U.S., but I don't really run into the problem of potential employees not speaking english. Hiring is defininitely an interesting process and seems to me a lot like "gambling" with players that know how to bluff VERY WELL.
If you don't have a bi-lingual crew leader for a non-english-speaking crew, you are headed for disaster and a probable lawsuit that could be based on a simple misunderstanding of some sorts. I would really think things through. Best of luck.
Col 3:23-25
23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,
24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.
(NIV)
Old 03-09-2006, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to hire non english speaking crews, you have to learn spanish.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleancutccl
If you're going to hire non english speaking crews, you have to learn spanish.
Exactly. bobcatnj, sounds like you would have better luck not hiring hispanics, as you already seem to have bias against them. JMO
Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

its america. if they wanna work they better speak english. im tired of hearing this crap you have to speak spanish. if i went to mexico looking for a job i would have to speak spanish to get a job.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatnj
im trying to hire some mexicans. i have hired white guys in the past but was dissapointed and kept firing them. i put up flyers in the income apartments where 80 of them live in one building. i get calls from them but i cant understand what the hell there saying.i try talking to them about pay, drivers lic, hours, ss card, how that kind of stuff and they answer yes to everything even if its not a yes or no question. how do u deal with these people? i dont want to put an ad in the newspaper, they charge 600.00 for 10 days.
What kind of problems were you having with the white guys? Maybe it could be pay related, do you pay good wages?If not, that could be a cause of problems.Are you doing background checks on the guys you hire, that might help. Do you offer any benefits? There are lots of things that could cause the people you are hiring to not care about the job they are doing. Also, like stated, you might be setting yourself up for trouble by hiring people that can't understand you.Good luck.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcatnj
its america. if they wanna work they better speak english. im tired of hearing this crap you have to speak spanish. if i went to mexico looking for a job i would have to speak spanish to get a job.
I AGREE 100%...Welcome to America If you can't speak at least basic english, don't bother getting off the boat, plane etc! Speak ENGLISH or get the f#@$ out!!!!!!!!!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 03-11-2006, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&R Landscaping
I AGREE 100%...Welcome to America If you can't speak at least basic english, don't bother getting off the boat, plane etc! Speak ENGLISH or get the f#@$ out!!!!!!!!!
you forgot to add "getting out of the tunnel"
Old 03-11-2006, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I employ a Thai girl who is a pretty recent arrival.She has been here for two months with her work visa and has studied her heart out to learn english.She is going very well and my best worker without a doubt.
She had expressed to me at her interview not only her work ethic but her desire to advance and her top priority in her life at the present time was to become fully conversant in english.She has proved to be of her word and is my highest payed employee now after 1.5 months.
The bottom line is there are good ones out there you just have to find them!
Old 03-11-2006, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&R Landscaping
ANd don't eve think about coming to canada damn it!