Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2006, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

HighGrass,

Follow Littleriver1's advice to set up the expense part of the equation.

There are 2 ways to account for the cash you spent.

1. You can write yourself a re-imbursement check for the amount of the gas, oil, and parts. Use the correct expense accounts on the check template. This is the easiest.

2. Go back to Chart of Accounts, click account (bottom right) click new, and set up a new account named petty cash, I don't run a petty cash fund, so you can check the QUickbooks manual or help for details on setting that up.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, here is the rest of the answer. To post an expense go to the menu at the top and click company, to open the drop down menu and go down to MAKE GENERAL JOURNAL ENTRIES. When the window opens click the down arrow key on the left side and see all your accounts. Go down to The account it belongs to and click it and it will snap to the top left. High light DEBIT, and type in the dollar amount. Go to the far right NAME and click that down arrow key. Now you will see a list of all your customers and at the bottom of that list is a list of all your vendors. If the place you got your mower blades is new, Type the name and click (add new) and put the little dot next to the word Vendor and click OK. Now every time you need to use that vendor it will show up on the list. Now go back to the left side and "under" the name of the account you picked click to high light and the down arrow will move down to you. I use the word checking for an account because everything is paid for from a check or debit card from the checking account. Even if I pay cash. If you need to create a new account do it now. Anyway when you click that acount it will snap to and the dollar amount you entered will enter itself now automaticly under CREDIT. If it does not, high light CREDIT and type it in. You must enter an amount under CREDIT, and it must equal the amount under DEBIT. It is possiable to split the amount under different accounts. I had so many interruptions typing this you probably figured it all out by your self. There may be some disagreements on this part but this will get you started.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another helpful hint. Go to the top of this page to thread tools and click on printable version and print it so you don't have to flip back and forth.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, this is what I have been looking for individuals who use QB's and want to excel at using it. Each year I improve my skills but I still a have a few problems.

1. Printing addresses on envelopes is one. When I do the monthly billing I have to do the envelopes one at a time then do all the invoices at once. Why can't I print envelopes all at once?

2.Each invoice every month. I go into each invoice and put the dates and dollar amount. Mine is set up as follows: number of cuts with each date listed times the price per cut. How do I get it to memorize each clients per cut rate?

3. My Loan manager set up is not right and every time I change it the dam thing reverts back. I am going to just pay them off that will fix it!

If anyone has any simple solutions they would be very much appreciated, thanks Drew.

Details make money!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I can see now why using a debit card can be an easy way for stuff like gas and parts. I don't use a lot of vendors but it might just as easy to pay with a debit card, keep the reciept and just account for it at the end of the day. And....if I buy a bag of seed at Walmart, I can add it to the vendor list as you suggested.(Littleriver1)

Also your help in setting up the subaccounts was really great. Now I'm doing that for my truck as well.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Drew,

Instead of printing your envelopes, get #10 double window envelopes. You can then fold your invoices/statements so that the customers address shows through the window. This will eliminate a redundant step and saves time and printer ink.

Your invoice question - Invoices are typically used for each visit to a property with a statement sent as a history of activity for a given time. If you switch your method and create an invoice and follow the directions I gave Roger. You will then use a statement at the end of the month that will automatically list the invoice number, the work performed, the price, the total owed, and an aging summary to show overdue amounts. Every manual entry step that you can eliminate will also eliminate the potential for an error.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma
Wow, this is what I have been looking for individuals who use QB's and want to excel at using it. Each year I improve my skills but I still a have a few problems.

1. Printing addresses on envelopes is one. When I do the monthly billing I have to do the envelopes one at a time then do all the invoices at once. Why can't I print envelopes all at once?

2.Each invoice every month. I go into each invoice and put the dates and dollar amount. Mine is set up as follows: number of cuts with each date listed times the price per cut. How do I get it to memorize each clients per cut rate?

3. My Loan manager set up is not right and every time I change it the dam thing reverts back. I am going to just pay them off that will fix it!

If anyone has any simple solutions they would be very much appreciated, thanks Drew.
Printing addresses in QB is one of the blessing that comes from wise infestments. However, if you want to print envelopes in mass automaticly, using QB, your screwed. If you do not already own Microsoft Office, or at the very least Word, now would be the time. QB does not print envlopes but it does export addresses to Word. Word has a great label printer that will work with many label papers. It also will print envelopes but you will still need to feed the envelopes into the printer ( pain in the ass) one at a time. All those smilies and not a one to represent a pain in the ass. There are also other label makers out there but most are for printing large amounts of lables. Now for a better suggestion. Over half of my customers use email, and that is how they get their invoice. Save your stamps, envelopes, labels, dollars, and get your checks in just a few days.
The part about creating invoices using per cut rates and the dates automaticly by customer is interesting. If you ever figure it out please tell me first so I can sell it to Bill Gates. What your asking QB to do is read your mind. There has to be some sort on data input for a computer to function. A times B = C. Even if QB did memorize your customer transactions, you would still have to enter the customer and the date. Now it gives you the drop down key to find your customer and the date. How hard is that? How hard is it to type four or five keys to get the amount? Hey, it does add the thing for you. The closest thing to what you want is a bar code reader. It will give you the customer info, the anount and the service, and the date and time the bar was scanned. There are bar code printers and readers now affordable and compatible with your computer that may work with QB.
I don't understand the question on the Loan mamager. But the Fix you came up with sound like the best idea. How are you entering your payments?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just want QB to remember the per cut price on each client. I figured I would have to eneter the dates in each time. The loan manager is screwed up on 2 loans so I am not sure but the other 2 loans are fine. I am just gonna pay them off then go back in and add the intrest at the end of the year for taxes.

Details make money!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

could you post a pic of your invoice? thanks

Details make money!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Gemma
could you post a pic of your invoice? thanks
Check your private messages