Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we try to always go by the job.. one prob u might have charging by the hour starting out is that you may not be able to operate the machine that fast..i would say it took probably 50 hrs to learn how to dig good or grade with the bucket, of course after a couple hrs you should know the controls but people might have a prob paying 75 per hour..
Old 03-13-2006, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping
well i think that is a good way to estament but not a very good way to bid a job. with an eastament you can go up if the job presents unforseen obsticals.

with a bid you are responcsable for anything that may happen. you may think that said job will take 2 days but that could be changed by weather acts of god or just pain ole mis caluculations . so if you bid you need to add a margin of error of around 20% to cover you self if this happenes

if you have been doing this for a while like some of us you can see most of this stuff ahead, but sometimes you will still get cought off gaurd

if you are fairly new to all of this, i would suggest to work by the hour for a season or two

so i say "very carfully"
Agreed...but everyone's situation is different. In my 'proposal' I have things that will add money to the 'job' or for unforseen obstacles it will be x amount more, etc. In no way was my method the cure all, end all solution.