Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2006, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

How long does it take ?

Me and my partner have been at it for the past three weeks passing out fliers. We have made three bids but have not booked any jobs yet. How long does it take to get this buisness off the ground?
Thanks
Keith
Old 03-10-2006, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfield
Me and my partner have been at it for the past three weeks passing out fliers. We have made three bids but have not booked any jobs yet. How long does it take to get this buisness off the ground?
Thanks
Keith
First let me say welcome. This is an exciting field and I pray that you do very well.

I hate to answer a question with a question but, how many fliers have you put out to have had three bids? Where are you marketing? What are your qualifications. The reason I am asking these questions is that I don't know how you are marketing or where. I target homes in the $500,000.00 and up range. If someone asks for a bid, I inform them that I do not give bids. All designers are different and there is know way to compare them equally.

Please fill us in a little more and maybe we can help you out and get you kick started.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-27-2006, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul
First let me say welcome. This is an exciting field and I pray that you do very well.

I hate to answer a question with a question but, how many fliers have you put out to have had three bids? Where are you marketing? What are your qualifications. The reason I am asking these questions is that I don't know how you are marketing or where. I target homes in the $500,000.00 and up range. If someone asks for a bid, I inform them that I do not give bids. All designers are different and there is know way to compare them equally.

Please fill us in a little more and maybe we can help you out and get you kick started.
If you dont give bids do you price everything out on parts and labor only? Do you give them an estimate on how much? Is there a way to provide an accurate estimate if you dont really have any idea as to how long it will take? Since I am just getting into this business that is what I am afraid of. Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Passing out graphic designed professionally printed high resolution flyers or laser printed black and white copies?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont plan to give bids either. I will give estimates but im not wanting to be in the rat race with "well the other guy is 49 bucks cheaper" or something.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone
If you dont give bids do you price everything out on parts and labor only? Do you give them an estimate on how much? Is there a way to provide an accurate estimate if you dont really have any idea as to how long it will take? Since I am just getting into this business that is what I am afraid of. Thanks
I hate to get into how I come up with my pricing on a public forum. If you would like to pm me I will try to help you out.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-29-2006, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul
I hate to get into how I come up with my pricing on a public forum. If you would like to pm me I will try to help you out.

Hey guys,
That's my partner asking the initial question. To be truthful we just started from scratch with about 6 months of studying on the business itself. I had the idea when I was doing seasonal lighting in Beverly Hills. I have sinced moved to the Arlington TX area and we started doing research about 6 months ago. With the help of our new distributor we have put our first job in the ground. We are taking pic's next week and I will post them. Outside of the design aspect the rest was done by ourselves and with an electrician to put the dedicated 20 amp GFCI plug in. We underbid ourselves and didn't make as much as we thought we would, but our changing our pricing around a bit now and charging more per fixture. Plus we are using Cast which is a little more expensive than the others we priced. We are passing out around 800 - 1000 flyers a week. We are getting a 1/2 percent call back rate. We booked our first job in a month and have a demo tonight for a 10K job, which I must say we are little nervous about. We are handing out profesionally designed glossy 4X6 postcards. They look really good.
Was doing them myself but found I could get them cheaper from www.vistaprints.com. The basics are out of the way I guess now we are just wondering how long at this pace before we are doing say 4-6 jobs a month. I realize it;'s kind of an abstract question. I would be curious to see everyones years in the business and how much volume people are doing. If that's not too personal a question for the forum. Would also appreciatte any other info you guys could give.
Thanks in advance.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes
Old 03-31-2006, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

travis, good hustle on passing out the flyers...5 years from now you'll look back and have a chuckle about what you did back then...we do!! My advice is attack the hear and now like you are doing but start today putting together plans of attack for the next 3 years. I know your hope is to glean as much off this chat room as you can to avoid some of the mistakes made by others but you will also miss out on learning from mistakes never made. That being said I would want to avoid as many as possible too!! What business are you in now?? How long? Did you start that business? Was it started in Arlington? Please..more info

chris
Old 04-01-2006, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Chris,
Thanks for the input. I poted on the billboard thread on what I do now.
Thanks so much for the advice. I have to say man, that this site and you guys have helped me more than I can say. I have already avoided numerous mistakes by listening to you guys. This site has been invaluble to me and my partner. I am definetly planning for the future. Already trying to meet with lawyers and accounts to figure out better entity's and tax structures. I will definitly plan for the future as I don't want to get caught with my pants down, figureatively speaking of course.

I only wish I would have started years ago, but heck I am only 30 so I'm still ok.
I did get the idea doing holliday lighting for a guy in beverly hills. Because people kept asking me If I could fix there landscape lights. I kept saying no, but eventually said I really need to look into this.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Meant to say Accountants, my spelling is pretty bad.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes