Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2006, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using stock photos in advertising

I have been reading a bunch of threads on here about how different companies do their advertising/marketing. I was surprised to learn how many companies use stock photos (of properties they did not do) for websites, flyers, newspaper ads, business cards, etc. I just always assumed that if a company was going to show a photo in their marketing material, then the photo reflected the work of that company. We only use pictures of properties we've actually worked on in our marketing (which is why the website is still a bit light on photos...kept forgetting to take the digital camera with us last season! Made a resolution to photograph all of our properties that we're allowed to this season). I'm sure we could make our stuff look a whole lot more enticing if we used pictures of other people's work, but we didn't want to mislead our customers. So I'm wondering, does anyone else make it a point to use only photos of work they've done, or do most companies use stock photos? I'm not attacking those who do, I'm just simply curious, since as a customer I always made the assumption that the ad I was looking at reflected the work of the company, and I'm wondering how true that is. Thoughts?
2006 Ditch Witch SK350
Stihl Small Engines
1999 Isuzu NPR Diesel

www.precision-lawns.com
Old 03-10-2006, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have used both, using stock mostly because the photography was superior.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We also use both, quality is better in the stock, and you can get exactly what you want.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

whatever you use, you must get a release. your customers will probably be okay with it, because of your relationship and it most likely not cost you any money. stock photos usually run several hundred dollars.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyb
whatever you use, you must get a release. your customers will probably be okay with it, because of your relationship and it most likely not cost you any money. stock photos usually run several hundred dollars.
We have a place in our service agreement for customers to sign if they're OK with us taking picture of their property and using it for advertising. Those are the only ones we'll photograph.
2006 Ditch Witch SK350
Stihl Small Engines
1999 Isuzu NPR Diesel

www.precision-lawns.com
Old 03-11-2006, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Stock Photos vs your own photos

I use stock photo for brochures and postcard mailings. The quality is much better for printing in 4-color.
I use a mix of photos on my website, mine with a few stock and of course all my own work in my portfolio that I carry will me and show to customers.

If you want, you can see my last printing project on my website. Once on the site, follow the lawncare link on the left and click on download Maintenance Brochure. This uses all stock photos.

http://www.hilltopinc.com/