Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2006, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Best backpack blower?

What is the best backpack blower for residential use? I am hearing Echo is decent. Mostly used for fall leaf removal and other clean-ups. My property is about 1/2 acre with moderate leaves (leave droppings pretty much spread out during the season). I am tired of using my friends sears gas handheld blower, It's ok, but not powerful enough to get the job done quick and my arm tires out. I would like to keep it in the $200 range max, less if possible. My township requires the leaves to be bagged, but that's a whole nother issue What about those blower/vacs like the Echo Shred n Vac?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl and redmax made good blowers, but expect to spend more than $200. As far and blower vacs, I wouldn't even bother, I have had two of them a Toro and Troy Built and they were both vertually worthless IMO.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from the "combo" units. Echo has been good to us!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I use husqvarna 145BT and have been very happy with them. I bought my first one 5 years ago and still going strong. Just got another new one last year.I think you can buy them at Lowes.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your advice here and on other threads. I went with the Echo PB-403T. Good price at Home Depot, plus I used a gift card towards the purchase. Home Depot had other backpack blowers that were cheaper (Homelite and another brand), but they looked like junk and low specs. I was a little hesitant to spend that much on a blower, but it sure beats using that old electric toro blower and also boring my friends Sear's gas handheld blower. I'll probably save tons of time doing leaving and having a backpack is sweet. I set it up last night and will probably use it today or next weekend to finish the leaves. Now if I could solve the problem of getting away from bagging the leaves, I'd be golden