Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2000, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Along the lines of the &quot;seniors expert help&quot; thread, what do you all as safety equipment?<br>Do you wear ear, eyes, & skin protection all the time?<p>Myself, Always wear sun block, my cool dark safety glasses and a combination earmuff hard hat set up by Stihl. I also use a bright yellow beacon light when on busy streets or double parking. Works as a notice me for my service type of advertisement.<br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
Old 04-11-2000, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I ALWAYS wear hearing protection. I wouldn't go the day without it. I wear safety glasses only when I am trimming. Too many pebbles have hit my eyes before wearing them (blurring the vision for a day or so). As far as sunblock, always on the nose. I'll use more this year probably. And usually put a orange cone on the street when parked at a customers house.
Old 04-11-2000, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always wear safety glasses and earmuffs. I'm lucky and get to work in the shade most of the time. Didn't always wear glasses on mower until a small limb jabbed my eye. learned my lesson the hard way. <p>
Old 04-11-2000, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I would like to ask what kind of hearing protection you use.<br>And what kind of chemical protection you use. (Yes, I read the labels, but what kind do you use.)<br>Thanks,<br>Steve
Old 04-11-2000, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have to wear earmuffs. Sitting on 325 groundmaster at full throttle all day is bad enough, but add the ever so often jet taking off at full burn 100 feet away, and wow, you can lose your hearing quick!<p>Also, wear jeans, and even long sleeve shirt, no matter what the temp is when doing any kind of tree/brush work. To many ticks around, and I think it helps a 100%. Also, had to many little cuts turn into nasty infections later on from not wearing longer cloths that help prevent them. <p>We use 'thunder 29's' by howard leight. They make a gulfstream taking off with a low ceiling sound like a bug buzzing your ear. Sometimes, after a couple of days of mowing, I even put the disposable ear plugs in underneath the muffs. I don't like taking any chances and helps prevents headaches.<p>steveair <p>PS- Lab Safety (i think labsafety.com) has everything in the world for hearing/eye protection. A little pricy, but one-stop shopping is a convenience<br>
Old 04-11-2000, 06:22 PM

Safety glasses and plain ol earmuffs here. A weedeater can caue you to lose to hearing
Old 04-11-2000, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have always used ear muffs operating my gravely rideer with a 20hp magnum (things loud as hell) but with my new toro z master with a25 cammand i dont have to... i no i should. but a weed wacker? i do no a guy who now has has a glass eye because of a weedwacker flinging a stone.... i wear glasses everytime i weedwack!
Old 04-11-2000, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

EAR MUFFS WHILE MOWING AND SAFETY SHIELD WHILE EDGING,WEEDEATING.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 04-11-2000, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see some guys using backpack blowers without hearing protection. They are just asking for a hearing aid if a few years.
Old 04-11-2000, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think one of the greatest inventions is the Ear muffs with a AM/FM Radio in them. I bought them last year and its nice listening to the radio instead of the mower.