Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2006, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

home owner needs help!

i do not own a buisness,but i like green grass and i'm trying to find out where i can buy a spiked drum aerator. i am having a hard time finding one in my area. i was wondering if some of you would recomend a store or web site i could go to.i only have about 1.5 acres so i don't need a great big one maybe 40 inches? thank you for your help on this
kristie
Old 03-11-2006, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try "Land and Coates". In your area How long have you lived on Knotts Island?
Old 03-11-2006, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

i have lived here about 10 years.we love it,very quiet and everybody knows everybody it's just real easy going and laid back.where do you live?have you ever been to k.i.
kristie
Old 03-11-2006, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

northerntool.com
Old 03-11-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps the reason you're not having much luck with spike aeration research is because spike aeration is a highly specialized technique used only for certain, specific applications. In 99% of cases, spike aeration would be the last thing I would recommend for your lawn, next to doing nothing. Matter of fact, I can not recall what a spike aerator is used for, and could not tell you what the 1 percent of cases are where a spike aerator may be used except that in 5 years and 2 thousand yards, I have never used one.

Because...
For all the work, hassle, time and money involved, please consider the use of a core aeration machine. The spike aerator simply drives holes into the ground and compacts the soil further by pushing dirt against dirt, hardly to your turf's benefit. The core aerator pulls plugs out, relieving compaction and loosening your soil, also the holes stay open longer as there is no pressure from the sides. Core aeration truly is the best thing to do, it is the closest you can get to tilling your yard without tearing it all up, it really does a number on the turf by expediting the decomposition and recycling process, it helps relieve compaction and creates thousands of miniature greenhouse-like holes in your yard, while it penetrates the thatch and also stirs up beneficial insect activity.

And so...
Get a core aerator
Yes, I am certain they come in drums, or at the very least, as a pull-behind attachment for garden and lawn tractors.
If you were thinking of using one that you could push or pull by hand, consider renting a gasoline-powered aerator as pushing or pulling one by hand is next to impossible. Even with fuel power, it is a bit of work, you may consider having a commercial service aerate your yard, prices range around 50-70 dollars for 1/4 to 1/2 acres, can be as much as 80-100 and you're done. For renting, most rent-a-centers have them and they run around 25-40 dollars / day, 20-30 for half a day. It is also possible rent-a-centers have the drums (or pull-behind attachments), but this I do not know for sure.

Last edited by topsites; 03-11-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good post information to help.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work for Currituck County Sheriff Office and my patrol was Knotts Island, I loved living there. I sitll lived there when I went to Virginia Beach Police dept. Now I moved back home and own my own business. I really enjoyed the samll community and being around the Outer Banks. You may have just moved there just as I was leaving for Virginai Beach Police dept. I worked for Currituck from Aug 97-July 98.