Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2006, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Dark Sky

Do you give any credence to this organization?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I sometimers wonder if they are not a subversive organization . What do you think.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Sponsor

The International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) is a powerful organization that is having a huge impact around the country. There are numerous municipalities that have adopted various aspects of their guidelines.

Here are some of their goals taken from their mission statement:

Stop the adverse effects of light pollution on dark skies, including:
-Energy waste and the air and water pollution caused by energy waste
-Harm to human health
-Harm to nocturnal wildlife and ecosystems
-Reduced safety and security
-Reduced visibility at night
-Poor nighttime ambience
-Raise awareness about light pollution, its adverse effects, and its solutions
-Educate everyone, everywhere about the values of quality outdoor lighting

A recent significant development is that the IESNA (Illumination Engineering Society of North America – a powerful industry associated trade and educational group) has signed an agreement with IDA to co-create a Model Lighting Ordinance (MLO). This is significant because the IESNA had been battling with the IDA over previous IDA guidelines.

This new MLO is likely to receive greater acceptance by and attraction for many communities because of the legitimacy that IESNA brings to the table. Don't be surprised if your local towns start adopting these ordinances, many already have.

As lighting designers you will find certain restrictions such as "no uplights greater than 50 degrees from vertical" or "no uplights exceeding a certain level of lumens". As you become more educated you will want to promote the fact that you are "dark-sky friendly".

Go to www.darksky.org for more info.

Last edited by steveparrott; 03-12-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott
The International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) is a powerful organization that is having a huge impact around the country. There are numerous municipalities that have adopted various aspects of their guidelines.

They are primarily concerned with light pollution as it impacts wildlife (esp. the migratory patterns of birds). They are also concerned with the esthetics of obscuring the nighttime sky, light trespass onto private properties and energy waste.

A recent significant development is that the IESNA (Illumination Engineering Society of North America – a powerful industry associated trade and educational group) has signed an agreement with IDA to co-create a Model Lighting Ordinance (MLO). This is significant because the IESNA had been battling with the IDA over previous IDA guidelines.

This new MLO is likely to receive greater acceptance by and attraction for many communities because of the legitimacy that IESNA brings to the table. Don't be surprised if your local towns start adopting these ordinances, many already have.

As lighting designers you will find certain restrictions such as "no uplights greater than 50 degrees from vertical" or "no uplights exceeding a certain level of lumens". As you become more educated you will want to promote the fact that you are "dark-sky friendly".

Go to www.darksky.org for more info.

Steve, I am a member of the IDA. Currently there is a housing development here that is the first of it's kind in my area. It does not allow any uplighting and all landscape lighting must be low voltage. They have put this into their covenants and they use my services as a consultant.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Sponsor

Pro-scapes,

Have you seen a good summary of any IDA guidelines as they apply to our low-voltage work?

I think this a great example of an area where the LVLIA could develop something like a position statement on IDA guidelines, and provide input for the joint effort between the IESNA and IDA.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Steve that's my point precisely. the LVLIA is too busy chasing shadows to focus on more important issue like how these folks want to limit or abolish the use of uplighting. There should be a counter association formed to limit the use of telescopes viewing the stars. I mean what gives them the right to regulate what people do in the privacy of their own yards. As long as light stays within property lines then who are they to regulate the air space above private property? Let the FAA take care of that. Let them eat cake.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Pro-scapes,

Have you seen a good summary of any IDA guidelines as they apply to our low-voltage work?

I think this a great example of an area where the LVLIA could develop something like a position statement on IDA guidelines, and provide input for the joint effort between the IESNA and IDA.
Steve, the IDA is a member of the LVLIA and we are in discussions as well. They recognize that low voltage landscape lighting is the way to go. The LVLIA is also attending the annual meeting next week in Tucson.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-13-2006, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Pro-scapes,

Huh what how did I get dragged into this one ???? Dont even be mixing me up with that guy steve!
Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Sponsor

Paul,

Good to hear that the LVLIA and the IDA are talking.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotShotKid
As long as light stays within property lines then who are they to regulate the air space above private property?
the leverage that they have is that the light DOES NOT STAY ON THIER PROPERTY.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap