Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2006, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spreaders and small sprayers?

What brands and types are you all using?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 03-11-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For sprayers, I have several. I started with just one small pump-and-go 1-gallon POS which was very nice, I upgraded this to a 1-gallon pump-once then go and this was even nicer. Later that year I bought a 2.5 gallon hand sprayer and then another one because I became a firm believer: Each chemical to ONE sprayer (so they never get mixed).
The 2.5 gallon sprayers are super nice, what I learned is the larger the capacity, the nicer it sprays (less time spent pumping and refilling, more time spent doing actual work AND higher gpm flow {gallons per minute - thou it takes 10 mins / gallon}).

Early this year I bought a backpack sprayer, and this one is by far the nicest of them all (2 gallons every 10 minutes, 15-20 minutes and this 4-gallon badboy is out and I am usually done by then - this baby gets rid of some chem!). Brand? The one that cost the least and looked the best (not the cheapest, just what I thought was the best deal).
I believe the 2.5 galloners cost around 15-20 dollars (get the deck and patio sprayer, it's the same thing but it's slightly larger and slightly cheaper - well, compare them all and look at size vs. price, also how it looks). The backpacker isn't cheap, 80 bucks or so.

For spreaders, I use this one:
Agri Fab Walk Behind Broadcast Spreader — 125lb. Capacity, Model# 45-02102
Here:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Id=9054&R=9054
It's not the best, mine's about falling apart but I'm hard on my equipment and have used the dogs out of it and it still works going on my 5th year... Might recommend one of the industrial-duty stainless steel ones, but they're not cheap (300 dollars or so for a good one).

Last edited by topsites; 03-11-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spyker Model 88 spreader

Agri-Fab Spreader

Solo Back pack sprayer

A couple cheapo 2 gallon piston sprayers

Both are push spreaders, I first bought the Spyker, I really like it. Later in the season one of the college kids I hired was licensed so I got the Agri Fab to get us by. Funny thing is I see Agri Fab get a lot of verbal abuse heaped upon their equipment, but this thing has held up so far, and the kid I hired Had used both preferred to use the Agri Fab.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco spreaders, We also use solo backpack sprayers for spot spraying ,Glycophosphate etc.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's been a long time since I 'pushed' a spreader.
But that has been one of my thoughts....
I miss the convinence of them now that I use ZTR's.

Just toss in on and squeeze an app in the schedule in-route.

I can't use the tow spreaders with the ZTR's so I have to load out and make a special trip for those jobs.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 03-11-2006, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
It's been a long time since I 'pushed' a spreader.
But that has been one of my thoughts....
I miss the convinence of them now that I use ZTR's.

Just toss in on and squeeze an app in the schedule in-route.

I can't use the tow spreaders with the ZTR's so I have to load out and make a special trip for those jobs.
Wow, I can't imagine doing without the push spreader, even now that I got the Z Spray. Just an added versatility that you just don't know when it will come in handy.
Now that I think about it I have one property we apply on that has on helluva hill, long and steep, I will definitely be taking the push spreader for that guy just in case
The 50' hose reel on the Z will be handy, I wanted to dedicate the backpack sprayer for soil sterilant only anyway.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had an old Roundup Professional sprayer that did well for a long time. But the pump rod started rusting. As for the Solo sprayers, I've had good luck with them also because the materials are good. The sun, weather and chemicals don't degrade them and nothing to rust.

However, this last new one I bought, a Solo 430-2G, well it has leaked since day one. Leaks no matter how tight you close it and it has gotten worse. After the first use I started having to take the whole top off to get it open. I overtightened the center. Anyways, now I have both parts so tight I'm not sure I'll ever get either part open again.

But I was thinking this was just a bad one maybe. So I had a look at some more Solo Sprayers and some from SP Systems. I guess I could look at Echo too maybe and ride down to Lesco to see what they have to offer.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah.... of course I'd like to just go pick up this badboy.

The Ztwo Spreader Sprayer is one nice rig huh?
But I'm trying to 'control' spending this year.
So dropping 8K on that would de-rail that.... LOL...

Old 03-11-2006, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run anderson spreader, and sp backpack sprayers. Great equipment.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleancutccl
I run anderson spreader, and sp backpack sprayers. Great equipment.
Hey thanks... I think you knocked some of the cobwebbs off my brain there...

Please tell me that's the spreader with the green hopper and orange rims????

If so great, because I have been trying to remember who made this spreader.
Great friggin push spreader with a good swath and granular delivery like you wouldn't believe.
No other spreader spreads the style this one does.