Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-12-2006, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Question How Much is it Worth?

Hello:

I have some older trucks that I'm thinking about moving out and replacing this year if I decided to stay in the business full time, or get out of it/downsize. I'm wondering how much all of you think the following vechiles are worth? Not Bluebook or NADA, but if you were looking for them/at them, how much do you think you would be willing to pay for them and still feel you got a decent deal and so did I?

Trucks for sale include:

TRUCK 1:
1997 GMC 3500HD, 10' Flatbed w/stake sides, Gooseneck & Rear hitch, V8, Auto, Std. Cab, A/C, roughly 150K miles, overall good condition, worktruck, setup and included is a BOSS 9' V-Plow (hardly used - maybe 5 times max) - I'm thinking between $12,500 to $17,500. What would be your offer?

TRUCK 2:
1999 GMC 3500HD, 10' Flatbed w/stake sides, Gooseneck & Rear hitch, V8, Auto, Std. Cab, A/C, roughly 180K miles, overall good condition, worktruck, setup and included is a BOSS 9' Plow (hardly used - maybe 5 times max) - I'm thinking between $15,000 to $20,000. What would be your offer?

TRUCK 3:
1998 Chevy S-10, ZR2 Package, 4x4, ext. cab, 6.5' Sno-Way Plow w/ side catchers, sprayed in bed liner, roughy 95K miles, truck boxes, etc. - I'm thinking of asking around $10,500. What's your offer?

Thanks for your input everyone. Helps to know what you guys think that they're worth. Thanks again

~Emil
Old 03-12-2006, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil35
Hello:

I have some older trucks that I'm thinking about moving out and replacing this year if I decided to stay in the business full time, or get out of it/downsize. I'm wondering how much all of you think the following vechiles are worth? Not Bluebook or NADA, but if you were looking for them/at them, how much do you think you would be willing to pay for them and still feel you got a decent deal and so did I?

Trucks for sale include:

TRUCK 1:
1997 GMC 3500HD, 10' Flatbed w/stake sides, Gooseneck & Rear hitch, V8, Auto, Std. Cab, A/C, roughly 150K miles, overall good condition, worktruck, setup and included is a BOSS 9' V-Plow (hardly used - maybe 5 times max) - I'm thinking between $12,500 to $17,500. What would be your offer?

TRUCK 2:
1999 GMC 3500HD, 10' Flatbed w/stake sides, Gooseneck & Rear hitch, V8, Auto, Std. Cab, A/C, roughly 180K miles, overall good condition, worktruck, setup and included is a BOSS 9' Plow (hardly used - maybe 5 times max) - I'm thinking between $15,000 to $20,000. What would be your offer?

TRUCK 3:
1998 Chevy S-10, ZR2 Package, 4x4, ext. cab, 6.5' Sno-Way Plow w/ side catchers, sprayed in bed liner, roughy 95K miles, truck boxes, etc. - I'm thinking of asking around $10,500. What's your offer?

Thanks for your input everyone. Helps to know what you guys think that they're worth. Thanks again

~Emil
The s-10 is worth less than half of that $10,500

I'd give $20,000 for both 3500hd's

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Okay, alittle less than what I wanted to hear, but thanks for being honest. How do you like your GM 2500HD?? I'm thinking of maybe picking up one of those this coming year. Anyone else? Anyone think my asking prices are in line? Thanks again
Old 03-13-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think your way high on your prices i hope they are 4x4's. if your down sizing sell them, if not and they are good trucks don't replace them when you already know what you have..example i have a 86 chevy dump with a plow that does not get used much.i paid 3000 for it years ago and could sell it for the same price but when when i need it wont be their and whats 3000 buy you these days??? i bought a 9.5 vee plow and it cost 5000.. If you could get what you were hoping for i would say go for it but it wont happen and your going to lose big time on those plows..
Old 03-13-2006, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go to kbb.com and get the blue book value - Be honest with yourself and you'll come out straight. This will allow you to make an informed decision, you may even decide to keep the vehicles (a solid running truck that's paid for is half the battle in this world).

To get an accurate price, we really need more information, on the '97 GMC 3500 the following 'v8' configurations exist:
V8 6.5L Turbo Diesel
V8 5.7 Liter
V8 454/7.4 Liter

Then 2wd or 4wd, etc... all that is needed to properly assess the vehicle's value.

Entering some basics (guessing averages, assuming 2wd), I get the value:
1997 GMC 3500 Pickup Long Bed Good Condition: $5,370 (with winch, snow plow and towing package)
The same truck spruced up (with the Turbo Diesel and 4wd) comes in at $6,695
I can probably 'tweak' it up to 10 thousand by clicking every add-on accessory and luxury item, but...

That's Kelley Blue Book, I always buy and sell my vehicles via this pricing guide.
Some folks prefer a different guide called NADA, which tends to be somewhat more aggressive in the price department but in the end doesn't make that much of a difference, either.

Last edited by topsites; 03-13-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

The only problem with using KKB or NADA is that they don't have my trucks listed. These are 3500 HD, meaning that they are equal to the new 4500 series trucks in what they can haul and tow. You can put a 9' BOSS plow on the front of them and it doesn't even lower the front end of the truck when the plow is raised. They are amazing trucks. I'd love to keep them and just use them for odd jobs and snow removal but insurance is killing me. I've heard of part time insurance, but no insurance agents seem to be able to get me a quote. Anyone else know about this?? and if so, where are you finding it? Thanks again
Old 03-13-2006, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just remembered that those hd's don't come with 4 wheel drive right?? with no 4 wheel drive or dump body you might be pretty mad when you find out what people are really going to offer you.. sorry for the input... I know ins is a bitc* it kills me to pay all winter a ridiculous amount of money when the trucks were only on the road plowing maybe eight times.. I never found anyone that offered part time ins i think its some kind of myth.. with something like that how would the ins co make their billions!!! A while ago i could take a truck off the ins and then put it back on, now they will cancel your reg if you take it off..
Old 03-13-2006, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil35
Okay, alittle less than what I wanted to hear, but thanks for being honest. How do you like your GM 2500HD?? I'm thinking of maybe picking up one of those this coming year. Anyone else? Anyone think my asking prices are in line? Thanks again
The 2500HD is an awsome truck, it can tow/haul as much as the old 1tons (9200lbs GVW), and the inside is the best out there. I have a 6.0 Gas, but I woulkd love to get the D-Max with a 6 speed Allison. Now thats an awsome combo.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

So if I wanted to haul a backhoe or something of that size with the 2500HD from time to time on a gooseneck trailer with axles to take the main load, I shouldn't have a problem? I'd like to just have one truck to do it all, but it's hard to find one that can haul, take loads, and get decent mileage. That's why I'm not sure if I'm better off keeping the s-10 and a 3500HD, or sell em all and get a 2500HD Duramax and just have one insurance payment and one truck to maintain. I'm going to be going to college so I'd like to have a nice truck to drive, but one that can work. I'll primarily be working on the weekends. What do you think I'd be better off doing? Thanks again
Old 03-15-2006, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

anyone?????