Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2006, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a soil test! You bag them up and send them in and get a correct soil analysis. The customer pays for them, and then you can adjust your program from there with fert, soil amendments etc...There's so much more than PH...
Old 03-18-2006, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

must be a common misconception.. PH is al that anyone ever talks about..
Old 03-18-2006, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can have a pH of 7.0 and still have a calcium deficiency, you can have a pH of 8 or 9 and still have a calcium deficency. Calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium all will raise the soil ph and calcium has the least effect of those 4 cation's. Doing a Ph test only tells you what your ph is, not how to correct it. If your soil pH is high because of potassium and sodium, you need lime to raise the calcium levels and help leach out the high sodium and potassium. If your soil ph is high because of to much magnesium, you need calcium and sulfur to lower the magnesium levels. A pH meter doesnot tell you whether you need to lime or not. Like Norm al says, it just makes you, and the home owner, feel warm and fuzzy.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lightbulb "Mini Lab in your Home"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy26
http://www.biconet.com/testing/digitalpH.html

A $550 difference between the LaMotte and Kelway

Is the LaMotte that much more precise? What's the difference?
LaMottes gives you everything, N-P-K,other macros, micros, organic matter, humic acid, soluable .....each kit can also be upgraded to exactly what you need....its great not haveing to wait a few weeks for the co-op. extension or lesco
Old 03-19-2006, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The lamotte tests are interesting but I am not sure just how reliable they are. Cant tell from reading their website.( and I didnt read all the pdf's they gave) It looks to me that they are testing and recommending materials based on Lbs or PPM. This isnt totally correct if your are trying to improve your soils fertility. For instance, P has shown to become locked up and unavailable to the plants in as little as 8 days in ideal conditions and 4 days in less than ideal conditions. The P is still there and the test results will show that it is still there, it just isnt available to the plant. Test that show results in total nutrients dont necessary tell you that those nutrients are available to the plants. Percent is more reliable than lbs, lbs just tell you how much it takes to get there. At any rate, I would consider the AST15, http://www.biconet.com/testing/ast.html , instead of the cheaper version, isnt but $200 higher and it checks for more micronutrients than the other versions.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Al
it is very rare that you will have a PH problem!

You must not have many oaks or pines down there. We have many communties around here that have large numbers of old oaks in the yards. Not as many now after the hurricanes. Even still, a lot of acidic soils around those neighborhooods.

As far doing a complete analysis. I've seen tens of hundreds soil analysis from this area and there all pretty much the same. Calcium levels optimum, Magnesuim levels low. Sodium is not tested. Of course NPK are always low. Dolomite is the norm around here for raising pH.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have sold many a lawncare program by being the only one to pull out a 200 $ Kelway tester. Originally I wanted it cause i really cared about the turf. Now I realize how important it is for a professional appearance and selling services.

Here in the PNW all lawns need lime. Need proof? Just have a look here sir.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We are a lawn maintenance company mainly but i find this all very interesting esp about the ph making the homeowner happy. and as for the pines a i agree we do basix testing for seeding and rennovating and we tremendous amts of pines and arborvites in the midwest. a ph meter is critical when expalining to customers why there is no grass groinf near the arbovite line or under pine trees. we need ot explain that to bring up th ph b4 we seed. this way way we can jsutify appplying lime or gypsum. and thanks mud for explaining the diff about calcium sodium, potassium. and magnesium.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Lamotte test kit I listed would be very benefitual to someone going totally organic. Most organic compost are lacking in the very nutrients that they are supposed to be replacing in the soil. Without sending the compost material to a test lab, you are only guessing at the amount of actual nutrients you are getting in your manures and composted litter. Now supposed you could walkup to your local compost store and pull a sample of compost and test it the same way you would a soil. You would know right then if you where getting the P/K as well as calcium and sulfur and other micro nutrients that you are needing to get your lawn or garden in shape. It would take a little math but once you new how much and which nutrients your compost contained, you could then figure out how much you actually need to build your soil. You could also mix and match different compost sources until you got the perfect mix that your soils need and never have to buy chemical or bridge products again. Most nutrients in composted materials are root acid soluible and easily converted by the micro's as well as the plant exudates to forms the plant can actually use. Chemical fertiliers and even rock sources of nutrients take much longer to be converted to plant usable sources. mInerals that have already been plant processed are much easier for the plant to convert to food. Anyways, I am just thinking out loud.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.orbeco.com/prodPages/soiltesters.html
I use the 27 dollar ph tester it works well