Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

employees

last year was the first year i hired employees and paid them a rate per day

for the bigger boys -whats the best way to get the most out of your guys and keep them happy.

-- hourly wages

-- daily wages

-- percentage of what they get done in a day

each have pros and cons in my head - just wondering what works best from people who've been through it
Old 03-12-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For maintenance i am paying a crew roughly 40% of the gross income from a service visit. For my crew that does mulch installs and shrub pruning and so forth, ill pay them hourly.

'I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.'
Bill Cosby

'If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?'
Scott Adams
Old 03-12-2006, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the most bang for the buck?

pay em by the day an nothing else . if they how much work they have to do an how much they can make . they tend to work harder & smarter versus an hourly wage an you as the boss don't have to worry about your guys riding the clock.when i started paying by the day years ago , i seen 12 hour days turn into 6 hour days an my employees making more in the long run.see ya an have fun George
Old 03-12-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend that everyone checks with their State labor department regarding how to pay the employees in your industry. There are very specific laws regarding whether an employee has to be hourly, salary, hs+, exempt, or non-exempt from overtime. It depends on the state, the job, the focus, the skill-set and the management involved.

Should you make the wrong choice and a disgruntled employee turns you into the department of labor....you could burn!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

onmyown

there is one standard , minimum wage, anything else is great, thanks george
Old 03-13-2006, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The ole mighty dollar still rules...pay the most hourly wage you can afford and see what happens IMO
Old 03-14-2006, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have always paid by the hour, but now my guys are really taking advantage. They are doing jobs that should be done in two hours, four hours. I am going to start telling them that they are getting paid by the job, like me. They're part-time, they won't complain.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Paying by the day is illegal. You can subcontract it but they must use their own tools and vehicle and you cannot dictate what day they do the work or how much time they spend all you can do is decide if the work meets your quality standards and pay them a contracted rate. Otherwise it must be hourly.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've considered paying by the day, by the yard, etc. And I think incentive-wise those are all great ideas. It creates and incentive to work faster.

But the problem is (and the reason I've never done it is..) that if you are a decent sized company, you are always gaining new customers and losing old customers and some weeks there is more work to do than others and sometimes there are delays that are out of the workers control, etc. The legistics of paying by the day or by the hour are just too difficult. It creates to many headaches. You gotta constantly be going over their route each day and adjusting how much each yard or each day is worth.

I think it's just not worth the headache.

I've concluded the best thing to do is just pay hourly and then sick some supervisor or foreman on them to make sure they are always busting their butts.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 03-14-2006, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
The ole mighty dollar still rules...pay the most hourly wage you can afford and see what happens IMO

you go broke and they get high. maybe the people out east are better, but someone paying hourly around here doesnt have much biz sense. hire hispanics and pay them by the job. see what happens then.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag: